The University of Connecticut, University Information Technology Services, is seeking an energetic, proactive, self-motivated individual with exceptional technical skills to fill the position of Senior Network Engineer (Network Technician 3 or 4), UCP 9 or 11 for the Connecticut Education Network (CEN). CEN is part of the State's secure "Nutmeg Network", whose purpose is to deliver reliable, high-speed internet access, data transport, and value added services to its members throughout Connecticut.
Under the direction of the CEN Director, this position provides advanced level technical expertise in support of the expansion of the Connecticut Education Network, a statewide MPLS/IP research and education network. Incumbents in this position are considered technical experts and are high level networking professionals. Individuals considered for this position must be highly independent and capable of understanding and evaluating complex networking interrelationships and complexities. This position will provide operational support between the engineering team for the Connecticut Education Network and connected sites throughout Connecticut.
The University of Connecticut has been named the top public university in New England for over a decade and is ranked among the top public universities in the nation. The University of Connecticut is also a Carnegie Foundation Research University, a prestigious honor shared by only the nation's top higher education institutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide final tier support for an IP/MPLS network in a mixed Cisco and Juniper environment
- Provide reports on network behavior and provide risk assessments and recommendations
- Provide project management support for customer fiber buildouts and provisioning
- Develop software to assist in network automation
- Provide engineering plans including detailed diagrams and implementation specifications as well as build of materials to Director/Architect
- Develop network architecture in support of organizational goals
- Provide outage resolution and post incident reporting with detailed root cause analysis to leadership
- Work with business units and leadership in developing new services for constituents
- Support business development through customer engagement
- Provide supervision, leadership, mentorship and professional development for junior staff
- Document and disseminate best engineering practices for University, College, K-12 and Library participants in the program.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or discipline related to the field of computer networking
- Seven years of experience in the information technology profession, with 3 years spent as the network lead or senior engineer in support of a large scale network
- Experience supervising technical staff
- Demonstrated ability to isolate and repair multiple complex inter-related technical problems
- Demonstrated ability to write specifications, document existing and planned systems and develop network based online help systems
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail
- The ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Cisco CCNP or equivalent experience with IOS-XE and IOS-XR, specifically with complex OSPF environments
- Juniper JNCP or equivalent experience with Junos, specifically with experience on the MX routing platform
- Experience leveraging VRFs in complex network environments
- Experience managing networks in a service provider or multi-tenant environment
- Experience developing and/or maintaining emergency response plans and actively participating in the restoration of network services in the event of an outage.
- Experience leveraging BGP routing protocol
- Proven experience in providing high profile outage resolution and post-mortem analysis
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining state-of-the art technical knowledge.
- Must have reliable transportation with the ability to travel to locations throughout the state.
- Advanced Degree (Masters or Doctorate) in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or discipline related to the field of computer networking
- Seven plus years of experience working in a large scale networks with an emphasis in more than one IT discipline (such as network architecture, network management, optical networks, advanced design and implementation of large scale network systems, etc.)
- Project Management experience
- Proven experience in outside plant fiber optic cabling systems design
- Experience in an educational environment
- CCIE or JNCIE certification
- Experience with Cisco ONS 15454/NCS and Ciena 6500 optical networking platforms
- Experience with passive CWDM and DWDM technologies
- Experience with Python/Perl applied to network management
This is a full time, annually renewable (end dated) position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience.
For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers for three professional references. Reference search # 2017278. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017278)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on February 28, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.