NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Technician.
The NYU Langone Comprehensive Obesity Initiative is a new, institution-wide effort to better understand, treat and manage obesity at the population and clinical levels. The Initiative unites cutting-edge population health, clinical, and basic science research through a uniquely comprehensive electronic data source- a multi-disciplinary DataBridge. This rich resource will enable investigators to address long-standing questions from completely new perspectives, using machine learning and other big data techniques. Key insights will be translated into real, evidence-based obesity prevention, treatment, and management solutions. This role assists with studies examining weight trajectory outcomes for bariatric surgery patients by conducting basic laboratory bench research on human subject materials and will procure materials and transport the material in a temperature-appropriate manner. Experiments will include fluorescence activated cell sorting of tissue samples, preparation of mRNA and the performance of other biochemical/molecular analyses required for the studies. The successful candidate will maintain careful records of the data procured from each sample / subject and enter all obtained data into database.
- Retrieve human subject samples from various clinics and hospital settings.
- Work with the clinical coordinators to arrange the procurement of tissue from colleagues in a timely manner, arrange for appropriate storage, ships samples as needed to collaborators.
- Process samples, including fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS) of tissue samples, preparation of mRNA or protein lysates from tissue samples and handling and preparation of samples for performance of RNA-sequencing analyses, real-time quantitative PCR, ELISA, Western blotting and other molecular and biochemical techniques required for the full scale analysis of metabolic tissues.
- Keep careful records of all subject material procurement and analyses in the databases for coordination across the entire research team.
- Maintains complete and accurate record of all laboratory procedures.
- Laboratory duties such as ordering of supplies and preparation and shipment of materials to distinct collaborators.
- Participant recruitment and tracking: May assist with recruiting and screening patients, gathering patient information, and scheduling visits if needed.
- May assist with updating tracking logs and patient progress through the study as well as general database cleaning and management.
- To qualify you must have a Associates degree with minimum three years of experience in basic biomedical research.
- Experience with fluorescence activated cell sorting of tissue samples, preparation of mRNA or protein lysates from tissue samples and handling and preparation of samples for performance of RNA-sequencing analyses, real-time quantitative PCR, ELISA, Western blotting and other molecular and biochemical techniques required for the full scale analysis of metabolic tissues.
- Highly organized.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook.
- Familiar with Internet applications.
- Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management and must work and communicate effectively with both internal and external collaborators.
- Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.