About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The chief objective of this position is to provide technical support services to the Vice President for Finance and Chief Financial Officer senior management area. The individual in this position will work with a team of information technology professionals to generate and maintain a robust, reliable, and secure computing environment at multiple on-campus locations.
The specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide direct assistance to users with all aspects of computer operations including technology set-up and disposal, maintenance, problem resolution, and training
- Looks for opportunities to enhance existing IT processes and technology by anticipating departmental needs and leveraging emerging technologies
- Assist in ensuring the senior management is adequately protecting sensitive data by implementing established policies and practices, leveraging information security tools and promoting end user awareness and training
- Complete special projects as assigned
- Create and maintain accurate system and end user documentation
- Pursue professional development opportunities to stay current with technologies and issues that will enhance performance and career development
- Communicate with a broad range of users about technical topics at a level appropriate for the intended audience
- Collaborate with peers to support initiatives which support the university’s mission and strategic plan
- Uphold the universal competencies of teamwork, maintaining a safe and secure work environment and diversity commitment
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education OR an equivalent level of training and experience;
Experience in an IT support or help desk environment or related role;
Experience with basic system administration tasks in a Windows operating environment;
Ability to communicate effectively to a variety of audiences.
Experience in a university computing environment;
Experience with remote management software (Microsoft SCCM, IBM BigFix, Kaseya, etc.)
Experience with advanced system administration tools (Microsoft MDT, PowerShell, etc.);
Experience in an Active Directory domain environment (Group Policy, managing security groups, etc.)
Server configuration and support experience;
Experience with hardware virtualization.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 03/03/2017