Requisition # 2016-7033
Department PPPL Office of the Director
Category Project Management
Date Posted 12/5/2016
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
PPPL's Senior Project Manager (SPM) is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, implementation, execution, control, and completion of specific projects ensuring consistency with organizational strategy, commitments, and goals. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party resources in order to deliver projects according to plan. Also responsible to define the project's objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle. Key attributes leading to the determination of upward progression in this career family include: project complexity, risk, team size, business volume, contract type, and political/client/business sensitivities. As such, the SPM frequently engages with end user(s), PPPL and DOE stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate awareness of project status and performance.
General: The SPM manages the full life cycle of assigned projects and assures that these projects are completed in accordance with PPPL and DOE policies, programs and procedures.
Specific responsibilities are noted as follows:
- Collaborates with PPPL and customer stakeholders and defines project objectives, overall requirements and key performance parameters
- Identifies PPPL staff and other resource requirements
- Engages PPPL stakeholders and subject matter experts to identify hazards and potential safety and environmental impacts and coordinates the development of robust plans and controls for their mitigation throughout the project life cycle
- Creates and oversees all aspects of project execution plans including safety, risk, scope, cost and schedule
- Identifies project issues and adverse trends and develops/implements timely and effective recovery plan(s) when needed
- Issues timely and accurate project reports and communicates project performance to PPPL, DOE and other stakeholders
- Engages end-user(s) and PPPL/DOE stakeholders in confirming that project objectives, overall requirements and key performance parameters have been satisfied
- Oversees project closeout including turnover to end user/operations and disposition of documents, records and materials/equipment
- Conducts evaluations and documents lessons learned that can be applied to future PPPL projects
- Develop and maintain a supportive work environment
- B.S. degree in engineering or science
- Minimum of 12 years experience in managing infrastructure and/or research projects specifically in the DOE complex.
- Strong foundation in project management principles and techniques; and principles of contract management
- Knowledge and experience in working under DOE O 413.3b
- Demonstrated ability in cost estimating, tracking and scheduling techniques for capital projects
- Experience in problem solving, process improvement methods and system re-engineering methods
- Use of strong oral and written communication, presentation and facilitation skills required
- Demonstrated supervisory skills
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us!
Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.