| Care Site Description|
St. Vincent Healthcare is part of SCL Health System, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and our focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health â?? and hope â?? to our patients.
- Billings, Mont. (est. 1898)
- Largest tertiary care hospital and Level II Trauma Center in Montana serving patients in eastern and south-central Mont. and northern Wyo.
- 2,100 associates, 529 medical staff
- 286 beds (201 are staffed)
Services & Expertise
- Cancer Care
- Childrenâ??s Healthcare
- Comprehensive Regional Services
- Heart Center
- Orthopedic Services
- Womenâ??s Services
St. Vincent Healthcare is an award-winning hospital providing person-centered care. We are People Healing People throughout the communities that we serve, especially the poor and vulnerable.
In this position, the Registered Respiratory Therapist will demonstrate the SVH Core Vales at all times. The associate will work collaboratively with the Respiratory Therapy manager, supervisor and lead staff, who oversee and coordinate patient care provided by the Respiratory Therapy department. The associate will be accountable for carrying out all respiratory care ordered by physicians according to approved policies, procedures and guidelines, and will keeps abreast of any changes by attending department staff meetings and huddles.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains required certifications, including BLS, ACLS, PALS and NRP
- Operates, maintains, and monitors a wide variety of equipment including ventilators and those that are involved in the administration of prescribed gases and inhaled medication.
- Performs arterial punctures, arterial line sampling and operates POC ABG instruments
- Cleans and maintains artificial airways as directed
- Acts as a clinical resource to nursing staff by assisting with decision-making, assessment, treatment and documentation of respiratory care
- Works with other members of the inter-disciplinary healthcare team and the patient/family to assist in comprehensive respiratory care
- Communicates professionally and effectively at all times and demonstrates excellent teamwork
- Actively participates in activities that improve patient care and contribute to quality improvement
Patient Care and Assessment
- Reviews patientâ??s chart and obtains history for pertinent information before each therapy or procedure
- Performs accurate patient assessment and orders appropriate therapies based on the Respiratory Therapy Evaluation and Treatment protocol
- Notes any changes in therapy or testing due to patient condition
- Sets up equipment for age specific needs and collaborates with physician and nursing staff to make adjustments
- Provides patient/family education regarding disease process, indications for and use of medications, signs and symptoms of exacerbation and ordered therapies and diagnostic tests
- Certification by National Board of Respiratory Care Program and ability to successfully pass the Registry examination within six months of hire date
- Current licensure by Montana Board of Respiratory Care
- Current BLS certification
- Ability to obtain PALS, ACLS & NRP certifications within 6 months of hire date
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers as well as the ability to learn applications relevant to the position