| Reporting to the Senior Associate Director of Content Strategy with a dotted line to the Managing Editor of the Harvard Gazette, the Editorial Production Manager is responsible for management, creation, and delivery of editorial products and projects to address the growing demand for full digital integration in a content-driven newsroom. |
Project production duties are visual and editorial in nature. They may include identifying and pursuing opportunities to enhance Gazette storytelling with digital assets (this could include creation of audio, gifs, graphics, embedded photo galleries, etc.); curating and assigning photos; working with the video and graphic design teams; editing archived video; and occasionally writing content to accompany various projects.
The ideal candidate must have a strong understanding of how interactive graphics, charts, and other visualizations can enhance news reporting and storytelling. She/he must be comfortable producing basic visual elements to accompany stories and working with a graphic designer for more complex data visualizations and infographics.
This role also maintains a broad view of editorial assets from a strategic perspective. The ideal candidate will have a keen eye for creative opportunities when presenting all editorial content and the ability to identify and convey the benefits of digital considerations within a traditional news culture.
Basic responsibilities include:
- Serves as production manager for the Harvard Gazette, taking projects from beginning to end, working with project teams of writers, digital producers, creative teams, and editorial staff. Coordinates production timelines for planning and completion of graphics/photo packages, collaborating with the content strategy, design, and photo teams on all graphic assets attached to each project.
- Thinks strategically to identify and produce (or gain access to) all visuals that will complete or enhance a story. Requires working knowledge to produce graphics, audio, gifs, and basic multimedia assets. Works with editors and the content/creative teams on any visual/content changes.
- Must have a strong understanding of how interactive graphics, charts, and other visualizations can enhance news reporting and storytelling. Editorial Production Manager must be comfortable producing basic visual elements to accompany stories and work with a graphic designer for more complex data visualizations and and infographics.
- Works with editorial and content strategy leadership to make platform-specific content recommendations and to maximize content performance on each platform while maintaining journalistic standards.
- Works with analytics specialist to determine best approach to reach different audiences.
- Brings an understanding of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and how to utilize information to increase traffic to content. Works with editorial team on headlines, tagging, and other SEO-based practices.
- Helps develop a digital-first editorial production workflow for the Gazette in Wordpress and other web platforms.
- Determines use of WordPress templates and usage of new media components in each news story, incorporating features as standard practice. Works with creative/digital/editorial teams to determine best practices, including use of templates; headlines and summaries; entry points (video, gifs, pull quotes, titles, etc.).
- Manages photos from outside sources to accompany projects.
- This position will also serve as an occasional backup for editorial and content strategy colleagues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary Grade: 056
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary