| The Department of Laboratory Medicine serves as a regional resource for clinical laboratory services required for patient care, research and educational programs in laboratory medicine. The department now employs 900 people who work at the award-winning University of Washington Medical Center (ranked among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report), Harborview Medical Center (the region's only Level I Trauma center, known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally- and medically- vulnerable populations.), and many other clinical and research facilities in the area. The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement and natural beauty. |
Harborview Medical Center - Laboratory Medicine has an outstanding opportunity for a Clinical Laboratory Scientist 2 This candidate will perform at a technical level, various routine laboratory testing and/ or prepare specimens or setup specimens for laboratory testing, and other laboratory work which supports the operation of a clinical laboratory. Under general supervision, this person will perform routine laboratory tests, demonstrate and train others in basic laboratory skills; verify the quality of reagents and media. And/ or is routinely assigned special projects that contribute to the development of new processes and procedures of the laboratory.
General duties include but are not limited to:
- Correctly process patient, proficiency, and environmental specimens for analysis to include the following: specimen identification, appropriate orders, assessment for acceptability or rejection, specimen preparation/ concentration, media/ smear inoculation, incubation, storage, etc.
- Perform patient and proficiency tests without errors by following standard operating procedures as identified by current policies and procedures for the areas trained to include: specimen Gram stains, specimen testing with kits or molecular platforms, specimen AFB stains, etc.
- Utilize information management systems to accession, status, verify, and reject orders. Correctly input test results using the laboratory information system.
- Demonstrate the ability to report critical values, STAT results, courtesy notifications, and routine results according to established protocols, insuring turn-around-times are consistently within guidelines and documentation is complete.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform and document routine quality control and preventative maintenance according to established protocols.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and judgment needed to recognize problems associated with patient testing, quality control, and preventative maintenance. Possess basic troubleshooting skills and corrects problems with proper documentation. Notifies appropriate personnel when unable to correct a problem.
- Demonstrate the ability to assist in instruction and training of employees, post-doctoral fellows, residents, medical students, medical technology students, etc.
- Assist in the development and evaluation of new processes and/ or procedures and participates in improving current processes.
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care or other services based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria appropriate to the age of the patient.
- performs related duties as required.
This position provides opportunities to work in a fast-paced, challenging, diverse and rewarding environment. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.