Essential Duties :
This is a 3-year appointment with anticipated renewal.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The search is open until filled. First consideration will be given to applications received by March 10, 2017. Second consideration may be given to applications received by March 30, 2017. Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (March 30, 2017) may not be given full consideration.
A Dynamic Leadership Opportunity
The University of Rhode Island, the flagship public university of the state, an urban-grant, land-grant, and sea-grant institution, seeks a visionary, innovative leader to serve as Dean of Arts and Sciences, with the goal of leading a diverse college of internationally and nationally renowned programs in research, academics, creative arts and outreach see http://web.uri.edu/artsci/
Reporting directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the academic leader and principal administrative officer of the College of Arts and Sciences — the largest College in the University.
The Dean is responsible for leading college faculty in the development and realization of a vision rooted in innovative perspectives of liberal learning and scholarship, while sustaining robust programs of research, scholarship and creative work in the college. The Dean is also responsible for working to foster collaborative and interdisciplinary academic programs and research that reflect the emerging needs of the university, state, national and global communities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Establish a compelling vision for the College and lead the College community in realizing that vision.
Provide leadership in creating a culture of creativity and innovation in curricula and for research, scholarship and creative work within a cohesive community of scholars and students across the College.
Encourage and support interdisciplinary learning and discovery in courses, programs, and centers across departments and colleges.
Lead efforts to highlight and promote international learning and research opportunities within the College.
Provide leadership to advance diversity in the curriculum and among students, staff, and faculty.
Lead with integrity and transparency and ensure that shared governance and ethical standards are imbedded in all decisions and practices.
Promote a climate of accessibility and achievement for students and faculty.
Create and sustain high quality and engaging academic experiences for students and ensure pathways for student success within innovative academic programs across the College.
Work with faculty and staff to develop and implement a College-based strategic and financial plan that aligns with the University's Strategic Academic Plan.
Work with the Office of the Provost and other Deans to align College initiatives and investments with University initiatives and the University's Academic Strategic Plan.
Manage human and financial resources effectively.
Establish performance expectations and college policies and support professional development for faculty and staff and understand and comply with all collective bargaining agreements.
Provide leadership in fundraising for the College and enhancement of alumni and community relationships, and external partnerships.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform other duties as required.
LICENSES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT:
Personal computers and printers; word processing, database management and spreadsheet software.
1. An earned doctorate or terminal degree from an accredited institution of higher learning.
2. Demonstrated record of teaching and scholarly accomplishments necessary for appointment as a Professor with tenure.
3. Minimum of five years of successful administrative, managerial, and/or planning experience in a complex higher education institution.
4. Demonstrated ability to develop and manage strategic budgets and priorities.
5. Demonstrated experience in working effectively with multiple stakeholders on- and off-campus and in building partnerships.
6. Demonstrated leadership ability and management skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to support human resource functions, including: establishing and reinforcing performance standards & associated policies, faculty development & advancement and conflict resolution.
8. Demonstrated strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
9. Demonstrated proficiency in written communication skills.
10. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
1. Demonstrated experience working effectively with alumni and private donors to raise funds and advance programs.
2. Demonstrated evidence of entrepreneurial, creative, and strategic thinking.
3. Demonstrated ability to implement innovative curricula and/or programs.
4. Demonstrated fundraising ability, constituency cultivation and external relationship building as part of a major comprehensive campaign.
Status : Calendar Year, Full-time, Limited
Union: Non-Union Non-Classified Staff
Pay Grade Level: 22
Pay Rate Detail: Salary commensurate with education and experience
Campus Location: Kingston
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach 4 (PDF) documents to your online Employment Application:
(#1) Cover letter
(#3) “Other Document” the names and contact information of five (5) professional references
(#4) Vision Statement on research, academics, creative arts and outreach
The University of Rhode Island is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, persons of color, protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, and other protected group members are encouraged to apply.