West Virginia University Institute of Technology (WVU Tech), a location of the West Virginia University system, invites applications for the position Administrative Secretary Senior. This position provides the management for day-to-day operations of an office servicing two academic units (math and computer science), including all budgetary matters with respect to multiple departmental accounts, as well as management of electronic resources. A small percentage of time is also spent on traditional secretarial duties: typing, photocopying, receiving, screening, and assisting visitors, and screening of telephone calls.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Assist in planning and/or coordinating events such as workshops, seminars, competitions and conferences.
- Provide excellent customer service to faculty, staff and students.
- Assist supervisors and recruitment committees in the recruitment of new faculty and staff.
- Make purchases using State Purchasing Card and Mountaineer Marketplace, and prepare requisitions for supplies, equipment, etc.
- Maintain, monitor and track departmental budgets.
- Provide information regarding various university/college policies and procedures to faculty, staff and students.
Work Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Work Location: Montgomery, WV initially, but will transition to Beckley, WV
Pay Grade: 12
WVU Tech is a campus of the West Virginia University system, currently located in both Montgomery and Beckley, West Virginia. It boasts a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio and an average class size of 17 students, allowing personalized attention in a supportive environment. WVU Tech is ranked first in the state for return on investment, and seventh in the nation in annual ROI for students paying in-state tuition.
- High school diploma or GED and up to 18 months of education beyond high school in office administration or other business or technical area or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- Two (2) years of experience in providing administrative support to a department or business which includes maintaining and tracking various budgets
- One (1) year of experience in providing administrative support to a department in a higher education institution is preferred
- Ability to use personal computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office and be able to utilize systems such as Banner, DataMiner and Oracle
- Ability to learn scientific, technical, or specialized terminology and information relating to the area(s) of assignment
- Ability to apply judgment, discretion and initiative in performing complex secretarial work in a variety of subjects, programs and projects
- Ability to learn all academic, administrative and organizational policies and procedures and explain policies and procedures to others
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to establish priorities
About WVU At West Virginia University, we pride ourselves on a tireless endeavor for achievement. We are home to some of the most passionate, innovative minds in the country who push their limits for the sake of progress, constantly moving the world forward. Our students, faculty and staff make this institution one of the best out there, and we are proud to stand as one voice, one university, one WVU. Find out more about your opportunities as a Mountaineer at http://hr.wvu.edu/.
West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff and students, and invites applications from all qualified individuals, including minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and veterans.
Job Posting: Feb 13, 2017
Posting Classification: Classified
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Benefits Eligible: Yes