Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
| || |
| || Job Summary |
| || |
Primary responsibilities include scheduling appropriate staff; supervising set-up and service; and monitoring customer service associated with Espresso bars and C-store for customers. Position must be knowledgeable of working in high volume units used for serving campus customers and be able to supervise multiple events occurring simultaneously. Service Supervisor recruits, selects, trains, schedules, monitors customer service and hours worked, and evaluates work performance for student and on-call staff. Position works closely in conjunction with all service supervisors, Chefs, and production staff in the production and service of all meals.
| || Job Duties |
| || |
- Ensure safe food handling procedures are followed to maintain safe food. Make sure each student employee has a current food handler's permit on site. Schedule food safety and sanitation training on a regular basis.
- Ensure safety policies and procedures are followed to maintain a safe working environment. Inspect facilities and initiate maintenance work orders to maintain operating condition of both equipment and buildings.
- Maintain storage areas for both serving line and decorating supplies. Make sure products are properly cleaned and stored after each use.
- Schedule and supervise student staff in set-up of espresso stands and convenient store.
- Monitor ware-washing activities to ensure dishes and utensils are properly cleaned and sanitized. Direct proper cleanup of all service areas, dining rooms and ware-washing areas. Clean service area, dining room, kitchen and equipment during breaks in service.
- Make rounds through service period to monitor that service standards and procedures are followed. Make sure food products served are labeled properly so customers can easily identify them.
- Reassign student staff if a specific need or service deficiency is noticed. Reduce staff if anticipated customer counts require less service staff.
- Communicate with manager to ensure sufficient amount of food is properly merchandised and provided to the service lines for presentation to customers.
- Establish and monitor operating standards for all service. Lead staff in providing exceptional service to customers.
- Prepare cash bags for each meal period. Monitor student meal card checkers and ensure that meal card reader/POS terminal properly function at all times. Run all reports associated with meal card readers after each meal period.
- Assist with training of department staff: special emphasis will be placed on customer service; food and personal safety; unit performance and financial reports; service standards and operation of meal access system.
- Assist Director of Dining Services and Senior Service Supervisor in reviewing and updating operating policies and procedures.
- Assist with monthly inventory.
- Support department's commitment to recycling and reducing waste.
- Generate daily labor reports from data in time and attendance system. Make corrections to exceptions and student work hours as needed on a daily basis. Follow proper reporting procedures for unit performance data (cash sales, meal counts, labor hours worked).
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees;
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations;
- Ensures employees have necessary resources;
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues;
- Promotes professional development opportunities;
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement;
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community;
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner;
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance;
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests;
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results;
- Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
- Other duties as assigned
| || Minimum Qualifications |
| || |
- Experience working in a multiple high volume Retail Espresso Bar/Convenience Store
- Supervisory experience performing such duties as hiring, training, scheduling, and directing student employees.
- Knowledge of the retail environment.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite software such as Word, Excel, Access, and e-mail or similar software.
- OR applicable combination of experience and/or training which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Ability to obtain valid WA State Food Handler's permit within 30 days of initial hire date.
- Participate in Serve Safe program and pass certification test within six months of initial hire date.
- Retail Supervisory experience.
- Knowledgeable in applying safety rules and regulations and sanitation for ServSafe guidelines in food service operation.
- Demonstrated experience with cashiering functions and a POS system.
- Demonstrated ability in ordering, receiving and storing perishable and non-perishable items.
- Ability to use desktop computer applications including word, excel, menu management system and electronic mail system.
- Ability to deal with difficult customers and diffusing difficult customer situations.
- Prepare and coach the preparation of food and beverages to standard recipes or customized for customers, including recipe changes such as temperature, quantity of ingredients or substituted ingredients
- At least six (6) months of experience delegating tasks to other employees and/or coordinating the tasks of ten (10) or more employees
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Creativity: Ability to use creativity to develop new menu's and food items and incorporate them into Dining Services and large events that have special catering needs.
- Judgment: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Leadership: Ability to lead and coordinate team efforts of kitchen staff thru direction and interaction. Ability to teach and train student employees in a fast paced environment.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
| || Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule |
| || |
$2602/month with periodic increases up to $3369/month
| Schedule to be determined with supervisor/ 11 Month Cyclic position |
Work is performed primarily indoors, at times in hot/cold/noisy/wet areas with some exposure to hazardous equipment and products such as, but not limited to stoves, grills, ovens, and dishwashers. Working in temperatures from 0 degrees (freezer) to 350+ degrees (around cooking equipment) is common. Work requires the ability to clean, sort, peel, cut, chop, mix, and portion products including working with hands in and around water. Work requires walking and standing (often in a stationary position) for the majority of each shift. Bending/climbing/carrying/pulling/pushing/lifting associated with loading/unloading of supplies and preparation, plating and serving of food is required. Additional physical requirements of the position include: pushing utility and hand carts with up to 150 lbs of supplies around to various work stations; correctly lifting up to 35 lbs individually from the floor or shelf locations to heights of 48" so products can be poured into smaller containers or put on work tables; and mixing together large quantities of ingredients for products either by hand or with a paddle/whip.
Occasional overtime is required and shift work may be required.
CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
| || How To Apply |
| || |
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting; and
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: February 22, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
| || Contact Information |
| || |
Name: Dan Layman
Phone: (509) 963-1332
Website: Dining Services
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
| || Conditions of Employment |
| || |
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.