NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Asst Dir-Applied BioinformLabs.
In this role, the successful candidate In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for managing all projects within the Applied Bioinformatics Laboratories. This individual will act as the liaison between the ABL staff, NYUMC researchers and external vendors, and oversee projects from inception to completion, working to effectively coordinate the workload by assembling teams, determining timelines and tracking deliverables. The Assistant Core Director will also coordinate general outreach efforts to promote the Applied Bioinformatics Laboratories services on campus. The Assistant Core Director will be intimately involved in the recruiting and onboarding of new faculty and staff, maintaining records, and organizing the master schedule for ABL meetings and seminars. The Assistant Core Director will report to the ABL Director of Operations.
- Initiates, interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates research projects critical to departments mission.
- Formulates and conducts research on problems of considerable scope and complexity.
- Explores subject area and defines scope and selection of problems for investigation through conceptually related studies or series of projects of lesser scope.
- Makes decisions and recommendations that have a major impact on extensive scientific research activities.
- Develops new ideas that promote current research. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive scientific research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and/or importance.
- Manages the administrative operations of the Applied Bioinformatics Laboratories. Assists in the hiring and onboarding of faculty and staff.
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of research projects.
- Responsible for the implementation of a project management tool, ensuring that all work is logged and billed appropriately.
- May seek grant funding from external sources in support of their independent research projects with consent of the PI and the Department Chair. May participate in writing grant proposals.
- May be responsible research/lab quality control and compliance.
- May develop protocol for the collection and quality of research data.
- Develops research techniques and methodologies
- May determine and establish laboratory policies, procedures and practices.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the advances in specialized fields through attendance of scientific conferences.
- May make significant contributions to scientific papers. Is a resource/ author/ co-author for reports and presentations.
- May provide recommendations for equipment purchases and for the redesign of lab space.
- May coordinate the activity and experimental design between various labs, scientific staff, and collaborators. Identifies and resolves technical problems.
- May serve on internal committees to help further goals of research projects and bring new expertise to the research program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a 1. PhD in the life sciences. Experience in bioinformatics is a plus but not required. Postdoctoral experience is also a plus but not required.2. Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook. Familiar with Internet applications.3. Effective oral, written, communication, interpersonal skills. 4. Ability to interface effectively with all levels of management and must work and communicate effectively with both internal and external customers. Ability to work within a team environment as well as independently.5. Time management skills and ability to work well under pressure.6. Ability to manage Programs and projects and to maintain a high attention to details while multi-tasking
1. Project/Program management experience preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.