Assistant or Associate Professor – Catalog Librarian
Full-Time, Tenure Track, 10 Month Position
The Catalog Librarian position provides description of, discovery of and access to electronic and print library resources through creation of original metadata records for all library materials. Work includes cataloging of new general collection and Special Collections & Archives materials as well as retrospective projects. The catalog librarian ensures that titles are accurately described in the integrated library system (ILS) and other systems, such as OCLC, to facilitate discovery and access by university students, faculty and staff and guest users.
The catalog librarian manages cataloging unit operations and supervises assigned staff. Unit operations include creation and maintenance of materials records, prompt access to newly acquired resources and timely access and/or problem resolution. The librarian will provide leadership on cataloging unit workflow and improvements.
This position plays a key role in management of the ILS, in authority work for Southeast and other libraries in a shared catalog, and Southeast content in the MOBIUS union catalog. MOBIUS is a consortia of Missouri and Midwest libraries collaborating on resource sharing and acquisition.
The catalog librarian must establish and maintain a personal development program consistent with the promotion and tenure criteria for librarian effectiveness, scholarly activity, professional development and service to the library, the university and the community. Appointment at the Associate Professor rank is tenured.
- Maintain currency with national, regional and local cataloging policies, standards and practices
- Maintain and/or establish Southeast Missouri State University cataloging policies and procedures and serve as the local resource person regarding cataloging and metadata
- Create original cataloging for materials in Special Collections & Archives and the general collections
- Manage the cataloging unit and supervise assigned staff
- Train copy cataloger(s)
- Participate in ILS management and provide leadership for cataloging functions
- Share responsibility for working effectively with MOBIUS libraries
- Serve as library liaison to assigned University academic department(s); liaison activities include but are not limited to: instruction, research consultations, departmental outreach, creating and maintaining LibGuides, collection resource review and collection development
- Serve on library, university and professional committees