Cornell Cooperative Extension Administration HR Representative
Human Resources Assistant V
(Band E - Nonexempt)
Cornell Cooperative Extension
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS)
Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) provides the educational outreach functions for Cornell University's role as New York State's Land Grant University. Programmatically, Cornell Cooperative Extension connects the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) and the College of Human Ecology (CHE) with 53 off-campus Associations, IPM, NYS Sea Grant, Area Specialists, and CCE New York City (Off Campus Extension). The Human Resources Team within Cornell Cooperative Extension works in a complex system of University related functions and statutory oversight of Off Campus Extension. Together, the system includes over 1,900 employees.
Extension Administration Human Resources supports the collective people management strategy of Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) Associations through developing regional Shared Business Network (SBN) Regional HR Managers as primary source for HR support. Extension Administration HR provides the SBN Regional HR Managers guidance, parameters, resources, tools, and oversight to encourage Association Executive Leadership to utilize, develop and support the SBN Regional HR Managers. Extension Administration HR provides oversight of the CCE Association System's people processes/strategies to facilitate the development, implementation and monitoring of these processes/strategies and utilizes oversight information to provide guidance and plan future people strategies.
In a team-oriented, customer focused environment, provide secondary support and oversight for the CCE Association System's Payroll, Human Resource Information, Recruitment and other database systems as primarily supported by Regional HR Managers across the state. Serve as the subject matter resource and provide effective, routine communication and training of Regional HR Managers and system end users. Ensure understanding and adherence to university, college and association policies. Ensure state and federal payroll laws are adhered to and applied consistently. Gain knowledge and keep up to date on laws and university policies related to various leave policies (with and without pay) and collaborate with Regional HR Managers to ensure accurate handling of each situation.
Create and analyze reports from various reporting tools available to monitor trends and make recommendations to the team on proactively addressing issues. Alert the Extension Administration HR Team on potential payroll and HR compliance issues when necessary. Actively contribute to the team's discussion on discoveries and trends. Engage the SBN Regional HR Managers in developing consistent solutions and improvements. Develop and deliver training and resource materials with SBN Regional HR Managers on Payroll, Human Resource Information, Recruitment and other database systems related topics. Participate in all other aspects of HR including classification, compensation, policy and recruitment processes under the guidance of the Extension Administration HR Generalists.
This position is full-time (39 hours/week) and will be located in Ithaca, New York.
- Associates degree and 4+ years of experience human resources, payroll, management or related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Solid understanding and application for HR knowledge and applicable HR laws at the local, state and federal level.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Ability to work successfully independently as well as in a team environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft software programs including spreadsheets, databases, and word processing essential.
- Demonstrated experience in utilizing software to perform analysis from multiple data sources.
- Ability to handle sensitive/confidential information and correspondence.
- Be detail oriented, accurate and thorough; and be able to work well under pressure.
- Ability to organize a high volume of information and inquiries in a professional and timely manner with very high attention to detail, follow-up and accuracy.
- Must be able to set priorities, manage multiple assignments/projects/tasks and meet competing deadlines.
- Ability to effectively manage assignments and projects in a proactive, solution-oriented manner while setting priorities appropriately.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills.
- Experience that demonstrates creativity, management and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated professionalism.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to foster and maintain effective working relations with internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated practice of the University Staff Skills for Success.
- Must exercise sound and ethical judgment when acting on behalf of the University.
- Government agency Human Resource or Payroll administration experience.
- Familiarity with Cornell Payroll/HR policies and computer systems.
- Professional Human Resources certification.
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Knowledge with Public Purpose
When applying through our system, please remember to attach your application materials (Resume/Cover Letter/CV) in either Microsoft Word or PDF format. In the Experience section of your application, use the Paperclip icon to search for file(s) or use the 'Drop Files Here' box to manually drag document(s) into your application. For a more detailed description and instructions on how to create a profile online please click here as an external candidate or click here if you are an internal candidate.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
University Job Title:Human Resources Asst V
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Laurie DeNardo
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-01-26-08:00