| OLE (the Open Library Environment, of which Cornell University Library is a member) has partnered with EBSCO and Index Data to build and implement FOLIO, a new open source library services platform. OLE is seeking two senior level developers to work with the Index Data development team to build out the FOLIO platform, as well as develop functional library service "apps" to contribute to the FOLIO library management system.|
These positions will provide the following benefits:
- Professional growth: To create a truly innovative FOLIO system this team will be using a spectrum of technologies. The senior developers will be expected to have base skills (see below) but will also have plenty of opportunities to learn in a hands-on environment!
- Flexible location and hours: This position will be based out of Cornell University, an OLE partner institution, however the Index Data and OLE teams are distributed internationally so there is flexibility in location and work hours. Remote work location will be negotiated.
- Collaboration and innovation: You will be part of a team. The FOLIO team members may be distributed, but we work CLOSELY across time zones, institutional boundaries, and disciplines. This means developers and functional experts collaborating. We need YOUR input!
- Working with the best: This project requires SENIOR developers and they'll be coming from all over the world. This will create a stimulating environment and a highly desired end product!
These are two-year, benefits-eligible appointments starting on April 1, 2017.
Qualified applicants must be able to communicate effectively and provide strong leadership in a team of highly skilled software engineers and designers. Must be able to bring a strong service-oriented and collaborative approach to designing and developing robust and reliable software. Ability to build good working relationships and establish trust with a diverse group of academic and administrative university colleagues.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Systems, or related discipline. Four to five years minimum of professional experience working as a software engineer using the standard development tools and frameworks. Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated ability working with enterprise-scale software development. Expert knowledge of standard development tools and frameworks. Understanding of common design patterns, service-oriented architecture, and test-driven development.
- Demonstrable skill in analyzing complex problems and producing concrete, actionable solutions, specifically as it pertains to production troubleshooting. Experience resolving highly complex integration issues involving multiple technologies and business areas.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills are required. Customer service attitude and willingness to work as part of a team in a dynamic and complex environment is required. Ability to work with a variety of people with varying degrees of technical knowledge.
- Ability to assume project leadership for OLE and work at the highest level of technical complexity. High levels of accuracy, problem-solving, dependability, and responsibility are essential.
- Work independently with little guidance, seeking functional, technical, and managerial input when needed.
- Enthusiasm for learning new technologies.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience in some of these or comparable core technologies and skills:
- RESTful web services (JAX-RS or Spring Rest);
- Message queues;
- HTTP/REST and related network protocols;
- JSON/XML and related technologies;
- Test Driven Development;
- Use of design patterns in development;
- Modern build and test tools for web application development;
- User interface/user experience development a plus;
- Financial/accounting systems experience a plus;
- Amazon AWS or similar cloud hosting environment a plus
Visa Sponsorship is not available for these positions.
University Job Title:Applications Programmer IV
Pay Rate Type:Salary
Contact Name:Bonnie Bailey
Number of Openings:2
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-02-10-08:00