| Rowan University is a comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 16,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20-miles southeast of Philadelphia, and it has a branch campus and medical school in Camden and a second medical school in nearby Stratford. Rowan is one of two universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical-degree programs. The School of Osteopathic Medicine has a faculty practice plan that serves approximately 200,000 patients throughout Southern New Jersey. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. The University boasts seven colleges--William G. Rohrer College of Business, Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering and colleges of Communications and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics. Rowan has been recognized as one of the Top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked 3rd among public institutions in the North by US News & World Report. |
SUMMARY: Coordinates Practice Management, Staffing, Materials Management, and Budgeting/Reporting for the Department of Medicine. Directs the non-physician operations of the outpatient office efficiently and effectively, Works in coordination with the Physician and Administrative leaders to assure all program requirements are met as outlined in university policies, Assures that physicians are provided with the necessary support to deliver high quality patient care. This includes, but is not limited to: front desk operations, patient access, billing procedures, customer service, hiring, training, supervising, evaluating and terminating staff, and resolving complaints. Responsible for faculty schedule changes including time and attendance. Performs a wide variety of administrative services within the department. Coordinates office support operations.
Supervises and assists with the overall daily operations of multiple sites. Responsible for all practice related activities involving personnel management, patient access management, patient billing, facility issues, and implementation of department/office policies and procedures, ensures Meaningful Use and PQRS quality measures are met, ensures weekly missing charge report is reviewed and any missing charges are input into the billing system. Ensures schedules are maximized and staff utilized appropriately.
- Responsible for building faculty schedules in IDX and Patient Access staff is filling schedules
- Responsible for developing and updating physician scheduling protocols.
- Responsible for tracking all faculty scheduling changes via IDX and maintaining faculty time and attendance log.
- Maintains time and attendance records for staff. Schedules vacations for faculty and medical staff.
- Serves as a back-up to the Administrator for emergent situations and as otherwise needed.
- Plans and schedules the work of the sites to make maximum effective utilization of employees, equipment, resources and materials within budgetary requirements.
- Makes recommendations regarding the hiring, firing, promoting, and/or disciplining of employees and other personnel changes.
- Prepares medical staffing schedules ensuring adequate staff in relation to number of physicians.
- Trains, supervises, and evaluates the performance of the clinical staff and obtains necessary signatures.
- Prepares daily staff assignments so that staff rotates between front and back duties to assure that all skills are maintained.
- Evaluates patient flow and redirects staffing as needed to increase efficiency and to reduce costs.
- Resolves any conflicts regarding medical staff.
- Prepares payroll biweekly.
- Monitors on an ongoing basis the performance of the medical staff to assure a customer-friendly, physician-friendly environment.
- Assures completion of daily assignments by staff prior to leaving for the day.
- Reviews staff attendance to assure compliance with attendance policy on a monthly basis.
- On an as needed basis, performs front office responsibilities as outlined in the front Senior Receptionist/Patient Scheduler job description.
Office Management and Administrative Duties
- Ensures clinical office is maintained in a professional and orderly manner whereby appearance in the clinical area is appropriately maintained and ensures staff appearance reflects professionalism.
- Trains staff on procedures and clinical information related to triaging of patient phone calls.
- Assigns staff to triaging responsibilities based on their level of knowledge.
- Trains staff on procedures and clinical information related to triaging test results and determining abnormal results for physician review and ensuring appropriate communication.
- Works with providers to ensure patient management protocols are available as needed.
- Assures adequate clinical support is available to accommodate patient volume.
- Defines the work of the clinical staff within the assigned area to make maximum effective utilization of employees, equipment and material within budgetary requirements.
- Ensures staff acts as a clinical liaison with local hospitals or agencies to ensure the necessary processes are adhered to.
- Recommends new or revised departmental policies and procedures ensuring patient flow is maximized and standardized, provider time is used efficiently, staff time is used efficiently and patient satisfaction is maximized.
- Maintains inventory and orders supplies and equipment as needed in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Orders calibration of equipment as suggested by the manufacturer to ensure equipment is ready for patient use.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of scheduling, billing, and electronic medical records systems to assist staff.
- Runs reports from these systems as needed to monitor staff and identify efficiencies/deficiencies and ensure compliance with policies.
- Oversees front desk audits in conjunction with billing office.
- Generates monthly reports as directed and takes follow up actions as needed.
- Approves purchase requisitions and maintains purchase orders (transferring funds to ensure funds are available to cover expenses, closing POs once complete, etc.)
- Maintains disaster recovery vaccine storage plan.
- Serves as primary contact person for security and answering services.
- Works with Plant Operations to assure offices is in good repair and pleasant in appearance.
- Maintains all necessary records in accordance with federal, state, university, and departmental regulations and policies.
- Prepares reports as requested.
- On a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis, reviews the physician paper and computer schedules. Resolves any discrepancies with the Administrator.
- As needed, works at the front desk in the absence of staff.
- Develops and implements systems to increase efficiency and to reduce errors, costs, and to improve workflow.
- Expedites and coordinates services such as maintenance, service and repairs, supplies and mail.
- Oversees the maintenance of departmental records and ensures that files and record keeping systems meet the needs of the department.
- Coordinates inventories and orders office supplies. As directed, prepares requisitions for equipment and materials.
- Understands and adheres to Rowan University?s compliance standards as they appear in Rowan?s Corporate Compliance Policy, Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy.
- Keeps abreast of all pertinent federal, state, and University regulations, law, and policies as they presently exist and as they change or are modified.
- Ensures that the staff are trained and evaluated on their knowledge of and adherence to compliance policies and procedures specific to their jobs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor?s Degree in Healthcare/Business Administration or a related field plus three (3) years of related administrative experience required with preference in practice management. Two (2) years of supervisory experience required, preferably in a practice management setting. Additional related experience may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
Please be advised that some positions are subject to the residency requirements of the NJ First Act (N.J.S.A. 52:14-7, P.L. 2011, Chapter 70). Any person hired into identified positions shall either have their principal residence in New Jersey or they have one year from the date of employment to establish, and then maintain, principal residence in the State of New Jersey. The law also provides that any person may petition a State committee for an exemption from the requirements based on critical need or hardship.
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
The Stratford, NJ Campus is a Tobacco-Free Workplace.