| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Under supervision, prepares high quality foods for patients, employees, hospital visitors and special functions in accordance to standardized recipes. Ensures that food is “batched cooked” in sufficient amounts per production sheets, to meet service schedules.
FOOD PREPARATION: Cooks assigned menu items and special orders.
- Cooks assigned food items per recipes, production sheet specifications and department guidelines.
- Rotates food (i.e., uses oldest items first) assures food is cooked properly (e.g., right temperature, not raw, not greasy, not burnt) and is garnished attractively.
- Employs the “batch cook preparation method” (i.e., batches specified for each item to ensure freshness food quality, consistency, timeliness and attractive presentation) throughout shift.
- Places food in correct (i.e., proper size for type of food) pans for service; fills pans up to rim and places pans in warmers for pick up and distribution.
- Weighs, measures, and labels food for distribution to designated areas according to production assignments.
- Checks food for proper temperature (e.g., over 140 degrees for hot food and less than 40 degrees for cold food) before food leaves work station.
- Responds to last minute and specialty items immediately.
SURVEILLANCE, PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF THE ENVIRONMENT:
- Conducts temperature checks for all prepared hot held foods, refrigerators and freezers, at designated intervals, completes documentation, reports substandard results to the Supervisor as per the Policies and Procedures Manual and the New York City and State Health Codes.
- Operates and maintains equipment carefully and according to in-service training, manufacturer’s manual and Departmental Policies and Procedures Manual; reports mechanical failures or needed repairs to maintain equipment in good working conditions.
STATION ORGANIZATION - Ensures all ingredients, utensils, and equipment are at the proper station and ready before food preparation time.
- Reports to supervisor for assignment and production sheet at the beginning of shift.
- Reviews production sheets to determine the type and quantities of food to be prepared.
- Turns on all cooking equipment needed to prepare assigned menu items to proper temperature 15 minutes before food preparation (Morning cook only).
- Assures that all foodstuffs, utensils, pots, and pans necessary to prepare assigned menu items are available at assigned works station before food preparation begins.
Minimum Education: Degree or Certificate in Culinary Arts
Minimum Experience: 2 years
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.