Whittier College is an independent, four-year Liberal Arts College distinguished by its small size (1600 undergraduates) and a nationally-recognized liberal arts program.Whittier College has a history of strong and innovative interdisciplinary programs and a diverse student body.The College is ideally situated in the scenic hills eighteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
Assistant Director, Center for Engagement with Communities
The Center for Engagement with Communities (CEC) at Whittier College seeks an Assistant Director. The CEC Assistant Director supports and leads the activities of the CEC mentor programs, a college- readiness program of the CEC developed in partnership with the schools of the Whittier Union High School District (WUHSD) and the El Rancho Unified School District. S/he must be able to work with the CEC Program manager to support the coordinators of the various mentor programs as well as see the intersection of all the programs. The CEC Assistant Director will also work with the Director to identify funding opportunities, and will help write and manage grants that support the work of the CEC. The position requires a dedication to issues of community engagement and educational equity and access, a passion for working with high school and college students and an understanding of the college application process, and a desire to serve as a liaison between the CEC and the community, as well as a representative of Whittier College and the CEC.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week
Full Time/Part Time status: Full time
Salary Range: Salary will commensurate with experience, skills, and knowledge.
Reports To: Director, Center for Engagement with Communities
Location/Department: Whittier College (Main Campus)/Center for Engagement with Communities
1. Plan, lead and coordinate all activities for the Mentor Programs for the participating WUHSD schools and El Rancho High School, in consultation with the CEC Director and Program Manager and in coordination with the various mentor program Coordinators.
2. Work directly with the college guidance counselors at the participating high schools.
3. Facilitate the college-readiness workshops and individual advisement sessions for the participating high school mentees and their parents when appropriate.
4. Monitor progress of the high school students in their programs.
5. Recruit, interview and select high school students for the incoming cohort.
6. Recruit, interview and supervise Whittier College CEC mentors, including conducting workshops that train and prepare them for being mentors.
7. Develop, update and maintain the Mentor Program's brochures and social media information designed to inform and highlight activities, programs and events for students, mentors and the high school partners
8. Responsible for collection of ongoing data and assist with data analysis.
9. Lead in a style that deepens and cultivates ties with the community including the high schools but also other relevant community-based organizations.
10. Assist with the coordination of CEC events on campus that further community partnerships and the mission of the CEC.
11. Work with the Director of the CEC to help identify funding opportunities.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Non-essential Functions of the Job:
Position Specifications and Requirements:
Previous Experience: One to two years' experience coordinating and working with diverse community and/or education groups.
Knowledge and Education: BA required, MA preferred. Candidate must be organized and self-starting with excellent written, oral, research and analytical skills. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Must be able to work independently, but also collaboratively as part of a team. Must have a commitment to the mission of a liberal arts college as well as community engagement. Interest in learning about university/community partnerships.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The position is based in Whittier, California. To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary history to: http://tinyurl.com/85zkvn7 or mail to Whittier College, Attn: Human Resources Manager, 13406 E Philadelphia Street Whittier, CA 90608. AA/AOE.
Whittier College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religion creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency