About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer (AVP & CFO), the Senior Facilities Contracts Officer will provide direct oversight on facilities procurement functions leading to execution of contracts relating to Capital Construction Projects (over $2M in value), Non-Capital Construction Projects (under $2M in value), and other long-term agreement with contractors to provide professional services and/or related goods and services required for operations. Position will serve as the lead contract administrator of executed contracts for Facilities. Duties of the contract administrator include evaluating vendor performance with input from others, processing change orders when necessary, providing input for contract modifications, providing input regarding renewals of contracts, all in close coordination with university central purchasing buyers. Provide oversight on the data collection, reporting and analysis of Small, Woman Owned and Minority Owned (SWaM) contractor utilization and performance on capital and non-capital procurements. Serve as a lead advocate in facilities for increasing our university spend with viable SWaM companies. Oversee the successful application and utilization of existing university term contracts relating to pre, interim and post audit of construction management contracts. Research relevant legal issues and keep apprised of changes in public procurement policies. Serve as a liaison with Procurement, Legal Counsel, Legislative Support Staff and other university personnel to expedite solutions, optimize communications and improve efficiency wherever possible. Serve as a Virginia Construction Contracting Office (VCCO) for capital construction procurement activities.
Oversee staff responsible for maintaining operations manuals, procedure and web based procurement resources. Provide needed records analysis and create reports for multiple sources as needed or requested including FOIA rquests. Ensure the unit’s full compliance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, Higher Education Procurement Guidelines under restructured university authority, and university policies and procedures. Directly supervise two Contracts Officers.
- Advanced degree in Business, Construction, Architecture, Engineering or closely related field, or a combination of training and work experience that equates to an advanced degree.
- Significant experience in the procurement and contracting of multiple, complex, high-dollar products and contracted services.
- Experience in procurement best practices, business principles and administrative processes.
- Record of progressively responsible experience.
- Demonstrated record of being highly organized, responsive, and deadline oriented in their work.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, Windows operating system environments, and enterprise computer systems.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate, learn quickly and exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Virginia Construction Contracting Officer certification or ability to obtain certification within 18 months of appointment.
- Experience in capital construction, project management or procurement best practices, business principles and administrative processes. Commonwealth of Virginia Purchasing Manual for Institutions of Higher Education and their vendors,
- Experience in capital construction, project management or procurement and contracting methods for design and construction related services for complex, multi-million dollar facilities including Design-Build and Construction Manager at Risk.
- Professional procurement credentials and certifications.
- Supervisory experience of professional staff in construction or procurement.
- Knowledge of any of the following are preferred:
Virginia Higher Education restructuring policies,
Virginia Department of General Services contracts and procedures,
Virginia Public Procurement Act,
Virginia Construction and Professional Services Manual.
- Administrative experience in Higher Education and/or public sector.
- Banner and HokieMart experience.
- Training or experience in lean principles and supply chain best practices.
- Prior involvement with supplier diversity and ethics in policy making.
- Preference given to a capital construction, or purchasing and contracting career background in higher education, facilities management and construction.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 04/04/2017