Quality Care Our Heroes DeserveNow is the time to take your career to the next level and become part of the high-caliber talent that is VA. Experience what 300,000 current VA employees already have state-of-the art practice settings, access to the latest technology, a multi-disciplinary team environment and the opportunity to provide the men and women who have bravely served this country with the finest patient care, benefits and customer satisfaction. And with VA Patient Satisfaction Scores leading the healthcare industry, youll be joining one of the most respected facilities in the Nation.
This position as a Medical Technologist (Electrophoresis/Special Chemistry) is located in the Chemistry Section of the Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Service. The incumbent is a key operator for the special chemistry electrophoresis analyzer and is the in-house expert for that equipment where training, procedures, troubleshooting is concerned as well as, direction and validation and ensuring accuracy of laboratory procedures and results, calibration verification, linearity studies, and correlation studies for the section. This position will also work in toxicology with the Liquid Chromatography - Mass Spectrometer and will be directly involved in specimen extraction procedures and sample hydrolysis. This also includes inventory management for this special chemistry section. This advanced Staff Technologist MT/CLS, GS-10 will work in both Chemistry and Special Chemistry. Additionally they will work in the clinical laboratory on all clinical instrumentation.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides guidance and technical direction necessary for accomplishing the work of the unit or team.
- Assists in leading a team of Medical Technologists in performing work in the electropheresis section of Special Chemistry. Assists the Toxicology Chemist in performing work in the toxicology section doing sample processing, extractions, preparing specimens, preforming QC, running, troubleshooting & doing maintenance on the LCMS.
- Assists the chemistry section supervisor in preparation for CAP inspections by ensuring the chemistry section meets CAP checklist requirements, and participates with accreditation agencies inspections on-sight and with other clinical laboratories as required. Participates in inspecting other clinical laboratories (CAP inspection) when required by supervisor.
- Evaluates quality control protocols for performance of tests and evaluation of results. Performs validation/method verification studies for electrophoresis or is responsible for the implementation and oversight of electrophoresis.
- Calibrates, standardizes, and adjusts instruments; verifies correct instrument operation using established procedures and quality control checks; and identifies the causes of common and major instrument problems and takes necessary troubleshooting steps.
- Informs section supervisor on progress. Consults with healthcare providers on logical protocol to follow in attempting to confirm the diagnosis or risk assessment of a patient. Recommends new or replacement instrumentation to chemistry supervisor.
- In the absence of the supervisor, the incumbent provides technical oversight for the needs of the special chemistry department. Maintains appropriate levels of supplies and reagents for the efficient operation of the Electrophoresis section.
- Is responsible that all reagents, materials and supplies are present at the time needed for this section, and communicates any needs to Chemistry Lead Tech or Chemistry Supervisor. Maintains records of reportable test counts and reagents; and submits monthly to the chemistry section supervisor.
- Works with the laboratory purchasing agent in ordering and correlating costs submitted with invoices. Assists in summary review, incident reporting, and variance reporting to the appropriate designated officials.
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday through Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm, with rotating weekends and holidays. Functional Statement Title/#: Medical Technologist (Electrophoresis/Special Chemistry), FS Number 000000, GS-0644-10, Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Service.
Bring your expertise to VA and be valued as part of a team that is recognized and respected for significant contributions to medicine. Youâ??ll enjoy a patient-focused environment, terrific benefits and incentives, and the ability to practice at any VA facility in the country.
Equal Opportunity Employer