SEIU (Service Employees International Union) Healthcare IL/IN/KS/MO
Job Title: Labor Organizer
Location: Chicago IL
Language: Fluency in Spanish is a plus but not required.
SEIU HCIL is currently seeking candidates with labor, community, political, campus, faith or issue-based organizing experience to help lead exciting campaigns to organize workers in Illinois and Missouri.
Our union is on the cutting edge of progressive movement building in Illinois and beyond, positioning union members to fight and lead against the attacks of the 1%, and building worker power and strength within our industries, workplaces and communities and workplaces.
Our Local Union is looking for candidates who believe in developing members and workers to lead in all aspects of union building and who are committed to closing the gap for income inequality for all working people so we can all live in a just society. SEIU HCIL is committed to fighting for economic and racial justice, immigration reform, access to affordable healthcare and childcare, and the Fight for $15.
If you are interested in joining us in that fight, we have Labor Organizer positions available in Chicago, Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri.
HCIL Labor Organizers are responsible for building workers' leadership and their ability to organize and build power at work and in the community. Organizers engage workers and identify and develop leaders through a variety of campaigns, including new organizing, contract, and community / political campaigns. Organizers will be expected to build organizations and committees of workers that can fight for a voice on the job and in their communities through collective action, and mentor other staff to do the same.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Organizers perform a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program or a specific campaign. Examples of those duties and responsibilities are listed below:
· Organize non –union workers to build power at their worksites and in their communities
· Develop members to ensure they have the chance to grow, learn and lead
· Take a lead role in building worker leadership structures in traditional and non-traditional workplaces.
· Mobilize workers and coordinate meetings, actions and other activities
· Effectively communicate the Union's vision and mission Critical thinking under pressure, and strategizing in support of campaign goals
· Develop and lead campaigns with leaders based on workers' issues Electoral and political organizing, including COPE recruitment Organize community support
· Develop relationships with allied organizations or community partners Train leaders on contract enforcement and to lead labor/management meetings
· Formulate and deliver on short-term and long-term campaign and project goals Mentor and train new staff in basic organizing skills and in campaign settings
· Prepare and track turf for multiple organizers Debrief organizers and prepare campaign reports Other Duties as assigned.
KEY QUALIFICATION CRITERIA:
· Minimum of one year experience organizing in campaign, worker or community settings.
· A strong commitment to social justice and alignment to values of our union.
· A belief in workers' ability to organize and collectively bargain and achieve desired goals together.
· Ability to lead, motivate and inspire workers to develop into leaders and participate in key union organizing activities even in the face of employer opposition and intimidation (i.e. building organizing committees, member to member organizing, actions, etc.)
· Ability to think strategically, take initiative and be creative in engaging workers in campaigns and provide the support needed to be successful Sound interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Desire to learn about labor history, collective bargaining, organizing models and other relevant information, and ability to support others in doing the same.
· Must be able to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines and remain accountable to leaders, senior staff, and organizational goals Good and ethical judgment.
· Willingness to take initiative, to work with a team Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office, databases and Internet Working knowledge of organizing campaign assessment systems (i.e. VAN)
· A valid driver's license, car and car insurance.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary Exempt position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Company-paid Benefits are included.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU HCIL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.