Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University is the largest research university in the nation's capital and is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. GW offers undergraduate and graduate programs in many disciplines. The GW Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), Washington Research Library Consortium (WRLC), the Chesapeake Information and Research Library Alliance, and the Northeast Research Libraries Consortium. The GW Libraries support and collaborate with faculty in research and teaching, and are committed to development, training, and professional service.
Under the direction of the Resource Description Coordinator, the Metadata Services Manager is a member of the Resource Description Group (RDG) and the greater metadata management group within The George Washington University Libraries. The RDG is responsible for describing and providing access for library collections in all formats. The Metadata Services Manager is primarily responsible for creating original metadata, complex metadata revision, and authority work for the library's general and special collections. The Metadata Services Manager will help shape the identity management work for the library's collections and is expected to collaborate with colleagues from functional areas across GW Libraries and beyond, in service of the GW Community and the profession.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited library program, or a Master’s degree in a related information field
- 1 year experience with creating metadata or cataloging in an academic library, museum, archive, a comparable research environment, or a metadata service provider
- 1 year supervisory experience
- Demonstrate experience with creating, editing, and transforming non-MARC metadata, such as EAD or others
Demonstrate knowledge of basic organizational, descriptive, structural metadata standards and best practices, such as RDA, AACR, DACS, DCRM, MARC21, Dublin Core, MODS, etc., thesauri, controlled vocabulary, identity disambiguation
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-motivated and work creatively, independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrate excellent analytical, problem-solving skills, and computer/technological skills, including project management
- Demonstrate a strong service-orientation, forward thinking and flexible
- Demonstrate effective oral, written communication and interpersonal skills
Special Instructions to Applicants::
Only complete applications will be considered. Please upload a curriculum vitae and a cover letter that includes an assessment of skills related to the basic qualifications.
Review of applications will begin March 10, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Employment offers are contingent on the satisfactory outcome of a standard background screening.