The Office of First Year Programs and Learning Communities (FYP&LC) is seeking a versatile and organized professional passionate about supporting programs that enhance the undergraduate student experience to join its team. Reporting to the Assistant Director of the Learning Community Program, the Administrative Coordinator (UCP 5) will provide significant administrative and programmatic support for the vibrant Learning Community program and other department initiatives.
FYP&LC programs are designed to assist students in their transition from high school to college and to aid in their persistence, success, and retention at the University of Connecticut. Students can participate in one of several exciting Learning Communities such as Global House or Human Rights & Action House where they live together, complete courses, and participate in activities. Students learn to navigate campus and identify opportunities relevant to their interests and talents early in their college career. Each community is led by a team of faculty and student leaders and provides a supportive community experience for students on a large diverse and dynamic campus with a culture of innovation.
The Administrative Coordinator will assist with the day-to-day operation of the Learning Community program.
Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provides administrative coordination for department initiatives; reviews and improves business processes; coordinates program logistics and provides administrative support for program staff.
- Develops and administers Learning Community application and acceptance processes, developing/managing multiple timelines and managing housing size requests and housing assignments in collaboration with Residential Life and Learning Community directors.
- Responsible for course scheduling and enrollment; monitoring course rosters, managing issues which includes assisting individual students, tracking and reporting on courses, instructors and enrollment; developing processes and procedures that are in line with instructor certification and training requirements, curriculum support and oversight requirements for program.
- Assembles information and data, at times across multiple years, and prepares reports to aid in evaluating student progress and program assessment; identifies trends and issues and recommends changes and improvements when appropriate.
- Provides comprehensive administrative, recruitment, planning, implementation, and reporting support; attends, supports and contributes to department events; represents program at various events, which requires thorough knowledge of programs and occasional work hours outside of regular work schedule.
- Resolves issues or problems and responds to inquiries from students, faculty and public regarding program policies, procedures and requirements, making referrals as needed; acts for and represents supervisor on administrative matters.
- Contributes to student recruitment and marketing efforts, enrolling and supporting students in programs or activities, as well as tasks associated with the development, implementation and growth of new and existing Learning Communities or other FYP&LC programs.
- Composes and updates documents that are primarily electronic, such as emails, letters, memos, reports, flyers, brochures, posters, presentations, course materials, etc.; Compiles and maintains collection of resource materials and program information.
- Performs routine administrative functions for the office including, but not limited to: correspondence, mailings, travel arrangements, purchasing, accounts payable/receivable, search administration and support, calendar management and scheduling, facilities support, and maintenance of inventory and supplies.
- Maintains websites and contributes to social media or other electronic accounts, keeping current with trends.
- May participate in FYE (first year experience) courses; may advise UConn Connects students or contribute to other department initiatives and projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, communications, statistics, human services or related field
- Three to five years related experience
- Demonstrated experience performing progressively responsible administrative functions with close attention to accuracy and detail
- Experience working independently and within a team-driven environment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including handling multiple assignments simultaneously
- Excellent and creative written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of, and ability to learn and effectively apply technology as a means to communicate, manage and share information, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs specifically Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint
- Ability and willingness to foster a campus climate that is welcoming and supportive of the University of Connecticut’s diverse student body and encourages communication with and among campus constituencies
- Ability and willingness to work irregular and flexible hours, including occasional evening and weekend hours
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience developing and/or managing complex data systems and preparing reports utilizing programs such as Access and Excel
- Experience in website design and maintenance in platforms such as Wordpress
- Experience utilizing social media as a marketing and communications tool
This is a full-time position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment.
For full consideration, please submit a letter of application, a resume and a list of 3 professional references with contact information via UConn Jobs (http://www.jobs.uconn.edu). Include search number on all correspondence. Screening of applications will begin immediately. Employment will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background. (Search #2017353)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on March 5, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.