A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The School of Information (UMSI) is a progressive, interdisciplinary professional school offering a Bachelor of Science in Information, a Master of Science in Information, a Master of Health Informatics, and a Ph.D. Our mission is to create and share knowledge so that people will use information – with technology – to build a better world.
The Digital Content Strategist (Part Time) will assist the School of Information with creating and executing all facets of its web and email strategy and plans as set by the UMSI Director of Marketing and Communications in collaboration with a number of other UMSI units and programs; and will provide the reports, metrics and information necessary to evaluate and refine those plans moving forward. This position reports to the Associate Director of Marketing.
This is not a technical or coding position per se, nor is it a writing position, though we do expect technical savvy and extremely strong written communication skills and attention to detail.
As a premiere iSchool, we have the responsibility to reflect best-in-class practices in information architecture, user experience design and web design in our digital work. This half-time position will assist in determining the best practices for our sites, coming up with exciting new campaigns and strategies, and helping to see them enacted. They’ll take charge of our HTML email newsletters and outreach as well, helping to make them the best and most engaging they can be. We’re hoping for someone skilled, who will also use this position to polish their skills.
You’ll be working on-site with a tight-knit team of digital-savvy marketers, providing you with experienced graphic design, photo/video and writing resources to draw upon. We also have one of the best Drupal programmers in the world working on our sites. We like each other, and we try to make the workplace fun. Surprise us! We’re open to new ideas. We welcome people from a wide variety of working backgrounds and interests.
For more information about UMSI, please visit our website.
- Creating simple, documented best practices for our sites’ content, and updating them annually;
- Assisting in coordinating website redesigns and refreshes every 2-3 years in collaboration with internal partners and external vendors;
- Suggesting new and creative tactics and techniques to use on our sites, and helping to see them to fruition via specific project plans with timelines and deliverables;
- Assisting with creating and sending engaging HTML newsletter campaigns in collaboration with our communications team;
- Assisting with evaluating the success of our website and email newsletter efforts via various analytics;
- Assisting with weekly, simple changes to website content and information flows;
- Writing two short semi-annual reports summarizing the state of our web sites;
- Other communications responsibilities related to the web as directed.
- A bachelor’s degree in information, computer science, technology, journalism, communications, English, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Minimum of two years of experience working on websites, including evaluation of success, in a professional setting;
- Familiarity with research regarding information architecture, user experience design and website best practices;
- Experience conducting user interviews, creating wireframes, analyzing user movement through sites, and making recommendations for best practices and/or redesigns;
- Experience with using content management systems (e.g. Drupal, WordPress);
- The ability to read and edit HTML;
- The ability to use photo editing software to make simple changes;
- Demonstrated commitment to accuracy in communications (including spelling, grammar and fact checking abilities) or experience with editing copy with precision;
- Excellent judgment regarding standards of public digital communications;
- Ability to work in open, collaborative space; ability to work in a fast-paced environment; ability to independently manage a position that changes from day to day.
- An advanced degree in information, technology, computer science, journalism, communications, English, or a related field;
- Experience working in positions specifically related to web management, communications or analytics for educational institutions or larger corporations/organizations;
- Experience or classwork specifically related to information architecture and user experience;
- Specific experience with Drupal websites and email newsletter sending systems including SendGrid and Constant Contact;
- Experience managing complex website redesign projects;
- Experience working as part of a larger marketing and communications team;
- Experience working with diverse organizational units as part of day-to-day responsibilities.
Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required. This position is a 20-hour per week position, with a set schedule of four hours a day M-F (arranged at the time of hire).
We expect that this position will combine high-level opportunities with a flexible work/life balance. May occasionally require extremely limited remote work during non-business hours and on weekends, generally to start website information refreshes that cannot be done during working hours; as such, after-hours access to Internet (either at home, or at local institutions, or by driving in to work) is required.
The salary for this position will range from $55,000 to $65,000 based on a full-time (40 hours per week) appointment. The actual salary offered will range from $27,500 to $32,500 based on this 50% effort appointment (or 20 hours per week).
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.