| The Department of Laboratory Medicine serves as a regional resource for clinical laboratory services required for patient care, research and educational programs in laboratory medicine. The department now employs 900 people who work at the award-winning University of Washington Medical Center (ranked among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report), Harborview Medical Center (the region's only Level I Trauma center, known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD CARER, and mentally-and medically-vulnerable populations.), and many other clinical and research facilities in the area. The University of Washington (UW) is proud to be one of the nation's premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement and natural beauty. |
Our Department of Laboratory Medicine has an outstanding opportunity for a REVENUE CYCLE MANAGER. The purpose of this position is to develop, implement, and manage the overall strategic and operating plan for the Reference Lab billing unit in Laboratory Medicine. This position reports to the Director of Revenue - Reference Lab Services, and functional areas include: Managing the department's financial billing system and overseeing the billing and accounts receivables for all reference lab activities, performing complex fiscal analysis and financial reporting including payer analysis. Work closely with departmental compliance officer to ensure compliance with Medicare regulations and all other relevant governing agencies. Work closely with lab billing software vendor to update and enhance billing system. Interview and recommend selection of applicants, conduct training, assign and schedule work, act upon leave requests, conduct annual performance evaluations and recommend disciplinary actions. Maintain direct communication with faculty members, UW departments, outside clients and payers in support of Laboratory Medicine's outreach program ($30M+ annually). Serves in an advisory role to faculty members, post-doctoral fellows, and staff on regulatory and compliance issues, billing and accounts receivables, and UW administrative processes. Job performance is evaluated in terms of leadership, productivity, appropriateness and effectiveness of decision making, and overall success of financial program operations.
The person in this role will perform the following duties:
Revenue Cycle Operations
- Perform highly complex management-level duties supporting all aspects of revenue cycle and billing operations for the UW Medicine Reference Lab with responsibility for $30M+ revenue annually. This manager is responsible for the daily operations of the revenue cycle:Preauthorization Program, Registration, Claims, Payments & Credits, Insurance Follow-Up, Client Follow-Up, Patient Accounts & Inquiry, Revenue Cycle Reporting, Funds Flow Management
- Lead the Reference Lab billing team toward common objectives and goals by providing clear direction, seeking input form others, ensuring staff have adequate resources and training, and articulating a vision which motivates others.
- Development of job descriptions, recruitment, hiring, orientation and training, workflow management, setting standards, recommending disciplinary actions if needed, conducting annual performance evaluations, schedule coordination, approving leave, team building, and staff development.
- Develop, implement and maintain program for monitoring staff performance, productivity and quality assurance.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of patient privacy rights. Maintain confidentiality of all medical, financial, or other sensitive materials and information in printed, electronic or verbal form, which may jeopardize the privacy of patients. Access and use the minimum necessary patient identifiable information to perform job responsibilities and duties for authorized purposes. Ensure all staff comply with the above and any other regulations such as HIPAA, GAAP and FDCPA.
- Partner with leaders and participate on various committees across UW Medicine to develop and implement consistent, compliant and patient enhancing system-wide revenue cycle polices, standards and workflows. This may also include the selection of vendors across UW Medicine.
- Partner with the Department of Laboratory Medicine leadership and division leadership to develop and implement strategies for growing the Reference Lab program and improving both client and patient experience. This includes providing analysis, reporting and recommendations.
- Review and analyze revenue cycle metrics and reporting to determine opportunities for improvement with in the Reference Lab billing team, resulting in cost efficiencies, increase patient/client satisfaction, increased employee satisfaction, and improved revenue cycle performance.
- Partner with external vendors (XIFIN and Matrix) which provide and support the Reference Lab billing system, patient statementing and payment systems are being used to their maximum ability and performance. Ensure all enhancement and upgrades are implemented timely. Develop and improve reporting capabilities.
- Work closely with XIFIN to register all payers appropriately and ensure EDI registrations are accurate and up to date. Work closely with XIFIN to implement recommended system changes and workflows to improve revenue cycle performance. Register all new employees for access and training with XIFIN.
This position provides opportunities to work in a fast-paced, challenging, diverse and rewarding environment. As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
- Experience with laboratory testing billing.
- Experience with laboratory information systems, such as Sunquest.
- Knowledge of HIPAA x12 code sets.
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state regulations as they pertain to patient, insurance and client billing and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to compile statistical, financial, accounting or auditing reports and tables pertaining to such matters as cash receipts, expenditures, and payable and receivables.
- Experience managing union/represented staff.
- Proven ability to foster credibility and establish collaborative working relationships.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to set priorities, and high degree of attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities concurrently as evidenced by timely completion of multiple tasks.
- Ability to work with diverse people with tact, diplomacy, discretion and sensitivity.
- Previous experience preferably in an academic or healthcare-related setting.