The Point Loma Nazarene University community is, and intends to be, a decidedly Christian community, as exhibited by our shared beliefs, corporate practices, and Christlike character.
Provides leadership direction, and management of all systems, policies, and services that underlie Advancement, including database management, data extraction, internal and external reporting, research, portfolio management, scholarship creation/maintenance, gift processing and acknowledgment, and compliance with gift policies.
Directs and maintains a comprehensive and accurate fundraising database (Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge). Directs and manages data entry and updates. Develops queries/reports to monitor integrity of data. Partners with ITS to maintain database security and to determine access to database resources. Facilitates access and provides database training for all UA staff and other authorized users across campus. Creates and grants access to dashboards according to job functions. Serves as liaison with Blackbaud for Raiser’s Edge and all Blackbaud products. Serves as University Advancement primary point of contact with ITS, Student Financial Services, and Accounting.
Develops, writes, and maintains accurate and timely fundraising reports and analyses to administration, senior leadership, development officers, other university departments, and external organizations (i.e, Voluntary Support of Education, US News & World Report, etc.). Develops and maintains gift tables and tracks campaign progress.
Develops processes to ensure accurate and timely creation of mailing, email, calling and event lists in support of fundraising and stewardship objectives. Directs and manages Advancement Services staff in creating and processing lists. Collaborates with the Director of Annual Giving by providing consultation regarding audiences/segments as well as appeal performance analyses.
Directs and manages processing, receipting, and acknowledging of gifts to the university in accordance with gift acceptance policies. Monitors the timeliness, accuracy, and efficiency of all gift processing, including major gifts, gifts in kind, and planned gifts. Partners with Accounting to reconcile gift records in their system with gift records in Raiser’s Edge. Responsible for monitoring and submitting all legal requirements to appropriate entities. Directs and manages University Advancement staff’s adherence to IRS regulations and CASE guidelines.
Online Donation Web Pages
Directs the creation and maintenance of online donation pages in Blackbaud’s NetCommunity for UA and for other departments on campus. Stays current with best practices for online giving platforms.
Oversees research of donors and prospective donors. Leads proactive research projects. Manages electronic screenings, prospect rating systems, and moves management procedures. Responsible for research reports for officers and management.
Oversees the creation and maintenance of scholarships (endowed and annual), communications with scholarship donors, and distribution of annual statements. Partners with Student Financial Services to ensure proper awarding of scholarships.
Prospect & Portfolio Management Support
Manages development officers’ requests for reports, lists, analyses, dashboards, MapPoint, and other assistance. Develops and maintains regular metrics to track performance and progress. Responsible for assigning and unassigning donors to portfolios as well as linking gifts to proposals. Collaborates regularly with the Senior Executive Director of University Advancement and development officers to provide timely support for managed prospect portfolios, including strategy, management, and follow-up.
Works as part of an integrated management team to establish overall goals and strategies for increasing private support to the university.
Manages and develops employees within Advancement Services to ensure they have the skills and knowledge to meet UA goals and objectives. Reviews and assesses existing operations to increase efficiency, increase data integrity, improve processes, create/update standard operating procedures, enhance metrics, and create management reports that provide the right information for key decision-making.
At all times, adhere to the principles of ethics and standard practices as articulated in the Council for Advancement and Support of Advancement (CASE) Donor Bill of Rights, Association of Professional Researchers for Advancement (APRA) Statement of Ethics, and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) Code of Ethical Principles and Standards, as well as the standards of best practices of her/her departmental profession, as appropriate.
Other duties as assigned.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training and 5+ years of advancement operations, non-profit, or business experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including proper usage of grammar, vocabulary, spelling, proofreading and document generation.
- Knowledge of Windows and MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) required.
- 3+ years of experience leading people and projects preferred.
- Requires 3+ years of database management experience required. Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Report writing experience required. Crystal Reports for Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Experience (moderate to advanced level) using Excel to process data, create reports, create distribution lists and filter data.
- Exposure to Development and/or Planned Giving preferred.
- Experience in higher education preferred.
- Exposure to business administration (e.g. planning, forecasting, & analysis), quality assurance and performance metrics preferred.
- Ability to deliver results within the established timeframes while managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to work independently, excellent analytical and self-motivational skills, excellent advocacy and persuasive skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptable.
- Ability to think critically and creatively with a strong aptitude for problem-solving.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to organize and prioritize workflow and coordinate the work of others.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to manage employee performance including conducting employee performance evaluations, merit recommendations, disciplinary process and employee recognition.
The work is primarily sedentary and may require sitting for extended periods of time. Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Vision to read documents, e-mail and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor. Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone. Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs throughout the day.
Point Loma Nazarene University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide quality educational and employment opportunities, PLNU actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education.