The Pennsylvania Apartment Association East (PAA East) has retained Sterling Martin Associates to search for its next Executive Director. The position is located in Bala Cynwyd, a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
PAA East is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit organization that represents multi-family developers, owners, and managers in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia counties. PAA East serves the multi-family housing industry by providing a forum to utilize and share the collective strengths of its members in order to provide educational, public relations, and government affairs related services that enhance the opportunity for quality rental housing. PAA East develops and promotes active participation by exchanging ideas via networking events. PAA East ranks in the top 20 largest apartment associations in the country and is one of three apartment associations in Pennsylvania. PAA East is also a proud member of the National Apartment Association.
PAA East has an operating budget of approximately $1.6 million. Revenue is derived primarily from program services, events and contributions. Seven professional staff members, including the Executive Director, serve the organization from its Bala Cynwyd headquarters near Philadelphia. PAA East is governed by a 27-member Board of Directors, including five directors who serve as the Executive Committee. The organization includes eight standing committees which guide PAA East’s activities. For more information, please visit www.paa-east.com.
Under the broad direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is the chief staff officer who has overall responsibility for the management of the Association. The Executive Director recommends and participates in the formulation of new policies and makes decisions within existing policies as they have been approved by the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors. The Executive Director plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates the staff, programs, and activities of the Association to ensure that objectives are attained, plans fulfilled, and member needs met. The Executive Director maintains effective internal and external relationships. Through management and leadership, the Executive Director achieves economical, productive performance, future programming, and constructive growth of the Association.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general supervision of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director serves as the catalyst and implementer in assuring the steady progress of PAA East. He or she will be responsive to the multiplicity of member interests while fostering consensus building within the Association. As the principal staff support to the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors, the Executive Director performs the administrative and managerial functions necessary to efficiently operate the Association in the following specific areas:
Strategy and Governance
- - Serving as an ex officio, non-voting member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
- - Planning, formulating, and recommending for approval by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors general and administrative policies, procedures, and programs and implementing said documents following approval.
- - Executing all decisions of the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors and delegating implementation when appropriate.
- - Serving as staff liaison to all committees and assigning other committee and board liaisons as necessary and appropriate.
Management & Operations
- - Managing and administering, on a day-to-day basis, the operations and general affairs of the Association, pursuant to its Bylaws and policies of the Board; approving expenditures within the limits of the Board–approved budget.
- - Hiring, managing, directing, and evaluating the PAA East professional staff to accomplish the strategic goals and objectives in each of their respective areas; assisting the staff in establishing annual goals and objectives; ensuring that goals and activities to support the Association's current objectives are implemented; ensuring that functional initiatives are aligned with the strategic plan.
- - Creating a culture among staff that encourages and sustains innovation, appropriate risk-taking, trust, and accountability; encouraging staff to seek new and creative ideas through education, research, and curiosity.
- - Executing contracts and commitments as may be authorized by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors or established policies.
- - In conjunction with the Executive Committee, developing, recommending, and operating within the annual budget. Ensuring that all funds, property, and physical assets of the Association are appropriately safeguarded and administered.
- - Ensuring PAA East’s fiscal health through prudent financial management of resources.
Legislation & Advocacy
- - Representing and promoting the rental housing industry before the media, legislative bodies, other local, regional, and national trade associations, and before the membership.
- - Collaborating with the Association’s external lobbyists on legislative messaging and setting legislative priorities.
- - Representing PAA East in front of the State Legislature in Harrisburg and the Philadelohia City Council, as appropriate.
Membership & External Relations
- - Directing the activities of the Association to serve the legislative, educational, and informational needs of PAA East members.
- - Overseeing the professional training, continuing education, and certification process.
- - Cultivating and maintaining professional relationships and contacts with members, other associations, industry, government, public service organizations, other organizations, and vendors as are desirable or necessary in the best interest and position of the Association and in conformity with the overall objectives and policies of the organization to the greatest degree possible.
- - Serving as the principal liaison to the National Apartment Association (NAA) and actively participating in NAA meetings and activities.
- - Directing basic management and coordination of the affairs, programs, projects and activities of the Association in order to provide the proper level of member services.
- - Promoting interest and active participation in the Association's activities on the part of the membership and reporting on PAA East activities through regular channels of communication.
- - Planning and overseeing all communications to the general membership which includes newsletters, general mailings, news releases, etc.
- - Carrying out other general responsibilities as may be delegated by the Executive Committee and/or Board of Directors.
- - In coordination with the President and Board, serving as a spokesperson on behalf of PAA-East.