Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina, is seeking an Associate Development Officer. The Associate Development Officer reports to the Director of Leadership Gifts and Board Development and is responsible for working with donors and donor prospects in prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, closure, and stewardship. In addition, the Associate Development Officer will support the overall development efforts, strategies, and goals of the University Advancement division’s central development functions and non-college based development opportunities, with particular focus on alumni and current parent constituents.
Responsibilities and expectations of a successful candidate for Associate Development Officer include the following:
- Secure financial support for Appalachian State University from individuals, primarily alumni constituents, as well as current parents, other university friends, and foundations/corporations as appropriate
- Manage a portfolio of 100+ prospects for discovery, solicitation and stewardship Conduct a minimum of 100 substantive contacts annually with prospects and donors
- Collaborate with colleagues in University Advancement and across campus for prospect activity and development activities
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with donors and donor prospects with primary focus on cultivation and growth of the Vanguard Society (the annual giving society of leadership donors to The Appalachian Fund)
- Collaborate with University Advancement staff in organizing and participating in special events focused on alumni engagement and philanthropic support
- Assist with planning and execution of the annual one-day fundraising drive initiative (#iBackAPP Day) for The Appalachian Fund
- Develop proposals and track success through business analytics reporting tools
- Foster a culture of leadership and integrity
- Draft proposals and thank you letters
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- 1-3 years of experience in fundraising, development, sales, alumni outreach, or other closely related field
- Travel is necessary for this position, requiring flexibility in work hours to include evenings and weekends as needed to accomplish objectives and satisfy goals
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- High energy, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail
- High degree of initiative and ability to work autonomously
- Strong verbal communication skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically
- High ability to navigate a large organization and build internal and external relationships
- Organizational skills for event planning
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
- Passion for and knowledge of Appalachian State University
Applicants should submit a letter of interest indicating experience related to the qualifications, a current resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information including telephone number at http://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/14371.
Appalachian State University offers a challenging academic environment and an energetic campus life, combining the best attributes of a small liberal arts college with those of a large research university. Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the 3,300-foot elevation provides cool summers, spectacular fall scenery, and excellent outdoor recreational opportunities.
Known for its value and affordability, Appalachian enrolls approximately 18,000 students. Small classes and close interactions between faculty and students create a strong sense of community, which has become an Appalachian hallmark. Appalachian is one of 16 universities in the University of North Carolina system and is consistently recognized in such publications as US News & World Report, Forbes, Kiplinger, and Sierra magazine as one of the outstanding universities in the southeastern United States.
Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact Ethan Dodson at firstname.lastname@example.org.