Assistant Director for Student Engagement must have a passion for working with creative students and will serve as a co-creator of a vibrant and innovative environment for student involvement. The ideal team member will establish and sustain collaborative partnerships within the Division of Student Affairs, Diversity and Inclusion and the Berklee College of Music community, in order to create transformational co-curricular experiences. We strive to provide opportunities for students to explore who they are authentically, while developing greater independence, agency, and resiliency. We strive to provide a community that actively engages in reflection, in order to examine the present and future aspirations.
The Assistant Director for Student Engagement is responsible for the overall development, creation and implementation of a comprehensive commuter student services program. This individual will advocate and advise on behalf of commuter students’ needs. The Assistant Director will serve as the primary point of contact for students regarding their specific constituent based issues and concerns, as well as lead all major aspects of student life experiences designed especially for commuter students to connect with one another and advance community on campus. The Assistant Director will support learning by creating (or supporting students as they create) relevant extra-curricular and co-curricular programs.
Vision Statement 2025
As the preeminent institute of contemporary music, Berklee will transform music education and enhance the power of music to better our world.
Building an inclusive culture that promotes diversity in all its forms, we will nurture the growth of the world’s most inspired musicians so they may fully realize their artistic, creative, and career potential.
Berklee will forge new connection among art forms, musical cultures, technologies, and institutions, creating a dynamic global network that fosters innovation, collaboration, and community.
Student Affairs Mission Statement
The Division of Student Affairs will foster a living and learning environment that nurtures the growth of the world’s most inspired musicians to fully realize their artistic, creative, and career potential through student-centered experiences, programs, and services. Student Affairs is committed to supporting, advancing, and celebrating each student’s personal journey “to be rather than to seem to be (esse quam videri).”
Essential Functions/Primary Duties And Responsibilities:
Commuter Student Programs & Services:
- Assist the Director with the development, planning and implementation of strategic initiatives and programs that support the co-curricular engagement of students.
- Provide outreach and support services for the commuter student population.
- Plan, develop, implement and assess a robust slate of educational and social programs for the newly renovated Commuter Student Lounge.
- Coordinate programs and services designed to meet the specific needs of commuter students. including but not limited to Commuter Student Assistant Program to allow upper level students to provide peer support and mentorship to incoming commuter students.
- Develop and implement a communication strategy for students residing off-campus, regarding student advising and success, diversity and inclusion, and health and wellness.
- Coordinate a commuter life session during fall, spring, and summer new student orientation sessions.
- Co-advise Bridge the Gap; a student programming board to better integrate the College and Conservatory.
- Create and maintain web and social media presence for commuter student communication and support.
- Determine community partners who can assist in creating a vibrant student experience for commuter students, cultivating working relationships to further advance the student experience in order to increase connectivity to the Berklee community.
- Act on behalf of the Director when requested.
- Manage daily operation of the Commuter Student Lounge including supervision of student managers, processing work orders for repair and replacement of equipment, maintain cleanliness of space, monitor engagement of students and use of equipment.
- Regularly utilize student development theory, research, best practice, and assessment tools in order to identify and understand the needs of students transitioning to university life, and of commuter students, and as such develop and implement initiatives to serve these student populations.
- Assist with the coordination of Orientation activities in collaboration with student leaders and professional staff across the Division of Student Affairs, Diversity & Inclusion.
- Supervise and develop student employee program as it pertains to Commuter Student Support.
- Oversee and maintain a budget for Commuter Student Services.
- Primary point of contact for the MBTA pass program including securing and distributing semester MBTA passes to students.
- Complete check requests and budget transfers as it relates to job duties.
- Oversee key card access rights for all student employees in the Student Activities Center.
- Create reports, and documents related to departmental, divisional, and college wide efforts.
Other Event Responsibilities:
- Plan and implement additional staff initiated programs and events throughout the year.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Other Information or Comments:
- Weekend and evening hours as well as some holidays required