Suffolk University invites qualified candidates to apply for the position of Student Accounts Counselor. The Student Account Counselor will provide financial counseling to all students within the Suffolk community. S/he will be instrumental in helping first year Suffolk families' transition into college by helping them develop the financial skills necessary to interpret the billing structure, financial guidelines and tuition policies. Proactively work with returning enrolled students to monitor progress through the payment process. Furthermore, s/he will promote retention and graduation strategies, by working with the Associate Bursar and the Financial Aid Office to ensure that the necessary documentation is processed and strong customer relations are maintained, effectively solving issues in an effort to resolve account delinquency and prevent withdrawal.
Demonstrating excellent customer service skills while initiating outbound calls and receiving inbound calls from students and parents. The counselor is responsible for maintaining up-to-date documentation online for all working accounts to be jointly accessed by the Bursar's Office staff and the staff of other departments integral in assisting in student retention. Coordinates with appropriate campus personnel to insure accurate and timely dissemination of additional course fees, financial aid, processing of payments and payment plans
% of Time
· Professional customer service - consistently practiced in person, email and by telephone with students, their parents and members of other departments on campus.
· Advise students/families regarding account activity and payment options.
· Perform diligent follow-up on missing or late payments from students/families.
· Maintenance of accurate Student Account information
· Open, sort and distribute daily incoming mail.
· Process receipt requests.
· Participate in registering students and collecting payments at orientations and the arena walk in registration process.
· View, analyze and respond to all incoming email inquiries received via the general office email box and the individual email box.
· Skill in listening, anticipating, and responding to the needs of customers to achieve excellent customer service measured by outcomes rather than activities.
· Skill in identifying the customer's perspective and maintaining a commitment to excellence in customer service.
· Send confirmation/notification for electronic loan proceeds received and maintain related data.
· Releasing financial holds.
· Assist with all mass communications as determined by the Associate Bursar.
· Work with the Bursar in maintenance of department budget.
· As office coordinator, make sure that all supplies are ordered.
· Work with the Business and Accounting office to make sure all invoices are paid and annual purchase orders are submitted in a timely manner.
· Help with printing and ordering and mailing of publications
· Perform other related tasks as the operation demands.
- Customer service experience
- Attention to detail with excellent organizational skills
- Ability to refocus on priorities in a fast-paced, multi-task, high volume environment
- Ability to problem solve and work independently
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 2007 or above, Microsoft Outlook email software and knowledge of a mainframe system, preferably the Datatel Colleague software
- Undergraduate degree preferred or 3 to 5 years of equivalent experience
- Standard hours of this position are 8:45am to 4:45 pm, M-F
Suffolk at a Glance
Suffolk University is a private, comprehensive, urban university located in the heart of downtown Boston. Our college green is the Boston Common. We are steps from dozens of historic sites including the Old State House, Faneuil Hall, and the Massachusetts State House. We have no real boundaries to our campus—Boston and Suffolk blend together.
Since 1906, Suffolk has been committed to creating an exceptional learning experience. Our vision is to be recognized as a dynamic institution that fosters engaged learning, rigorous scholarship, innovative thinking, and community collaboration across disciplines. We will ensure that Suffolk graduates are versatile and prepared for modern society and the new world market. We will provide rich curricula, experiential learning opportunities and professional mentoring through increased collaboration with alumni and community partners. We will recruit, mentor, and support a diverse faculty of teacher-scholars who are passionately committed to preparing our students to be leaders in the global community. We will inspire investment in a Suffolk community that is built on ethical, forward-thinking leadership, teamwork, and cooperation.
Suffolk University is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse community. We are actively seeking applicants from groups that might be under-represented because of race/color, gender, religion, real or perceived disability, national origin or LBGTQ status.
See yourself here with our terrific benefits package. Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Harvard Pilgrim medical/Delta Dental at low employee costs
- Retirement options including both Standard Retirement Plan (SRP) and Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity (VTDAP). The University contributes 9% to your SRP when employees contribute 5% after eligibility guidelines have been met.
- All employees and faculty members who are at least half-time are eligible for the tuition free course benefit in the College of Arts and Sciences and in the Sawyer Business School. There are additional tuition benefits for spouses, domestic partners, and children.
- Generous time-off program. Vacation accrues monthly. Vacation for part-time employees is pro-rated based on the employees' regularly scheduled hours. Additional holidays are announced each year and are separate from the employee's vacation allowance.
- Pre-tax commuter benefit
- Discounted home and auto insurance
Suffolk University conducts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) checks relative to prior criminal convictions and pending cases, as well as Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) checks relative to prior sexual offenses committed as a contingent offer of employment for all positions. Suffolk University requires specific written authorization to conduct background checks. Failure to provide such authorization shall preclude candidates from being hired.
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter for the position in which you are applying to.