| Located in Ithaca, N.Y., Cornell University is a bold, innovative, inclusive and dynamic teaching and research university where staff, faculty, and students alike are challenged to make an enduring contribution to the betterment of humanity. Cornell University is one of the largest and most diverse institutions in the Ivy League. We are a community of 22,000 students and more than 10,000 faculty and staff members representing more than 80 countries and hundreds of disciplines—global cultures, backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ideas. The College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University is recognized internationally as a leader in public health, biomedical research, animal medicine, and veterinary medical education. Ranked consistently as one of the best veterinary colleges in the nation, the College's strength is due to its strategic breadth of focus areas and its depth of expertise in each of those areas; the achievements of its faculty, staff, alumni, and students; and its commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.|
As the largest Academic department in the College of Veterinary Medicine with 70 Faculty, the Department of Clinical Sciences values both clinical and basic research, contributes to classroom and laboratory teaching throughout the curriculum, and provides clinical training of DVM professional students, interns and residents through their professional service in the Cornell University Hospital for Animals. We seek an enthusiastic and resourceful Administrative Assistant who will provide high-level support to the Department Chair and Administrative Manager in all aspects of administrative responsibilities, as well as, represent the Department Chair's office to internal and external audiences. Responsibilities include:
- Handle numerous personal contacts: answer inquiries, gather information with discretion and a wide variety/depth of knowledge of departmental operations.Screen calls, make appointments, coordinate all detail of complex meetings, seminars and events.Compose letters and memos, open mail daily and organize files.
- Manage a dynamic and complex calendar.Notify appropriate individuals of Department Chair's schedule and availability, as well as anticipate the needs of meetings and events.
- Prepare and coordinate complex travel arrangements and trip itineraries both national/international.Ensure appropriate financial reimbursement for the Chair and visitors to the departments.
- Work in coordination with College Visitor and International Relations Manager regarding foreign visitors, appointments and visa issues.Responsible for tracking visa status of alien appointments.In coordination with above manager, prepare necessary forms for individuals applying for new and/or extension of visas.
- Manage all aspects of dossier preparation for Department Chair and faculty. Oversee and manage preparations of all faculty dossiers (tenure track, reappointments, and promotions) in the department.
- Provide support with grant proposals, manuscripts, presentations and protocols.
- Manage special projects; track project timelines and ensure deadlines are met.
- Manage annual performance dialogues for all faculty. Prepare materials for Department Chairs review prior to meeting with individual faculty members.
- Take minutes at faculty meetings and disseminate information within one week following the meeting..
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships using tact and diplomacy.
- Handle special projects for Chair or Business Director using independent judgement and decision making.
- Assist with a variety of tasks and projects as needed.
Our ideal candidate possesses an extremely positive attitude, can think critically and proactively, is detailed oriented, and can provide excellent customer service. The Administrative Assistant must work independently, use excellent judgment while setting priorities and taking appropriate initiative, and handle sensitive/confidential conversations and correspondence. Need to be thorough, able to work well under pressure while managing multiple department projects/tasks (both short and long term) at the same time. Needs to be flexible, creative in finding solutions, able to follow directions and anticipate the needs of the Department Chair. Needs to demonstrate a creative and innovating approach to new projects and can quickly adapt to changing priorities with little direction and to be able to network with a wide variety of individuals, both within and outside the University.
Associates degree with 6 years of executive level administrative experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Superior written, verbal and interpersonal skills; excellent planning, coordination and organization skills. Ability to work independently and to respond quickly and effectively to multiple assignments and conflicting priorities and situations and demonstrated experience in managing multiple projects. Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, initiative, and respect highly confidential information. Must be diplomatic and tactful and must be able to present a formal and professional demeanor. Needs to exercise professionalism and diplomacy when representing the Department Chair and Business Director in interactions with individuals in a variety of positions.
Proficient with a number of PC software programs.
Familiarity with Cornell University policies and procedures preferred. Proficient in Windows, MS Word, MS Outlook, EndNote, Sharepoint, Excel, File Maker Pro, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop. Aptitude and willingness to learn additional operating systems and software packages. Experience with project management.
University Job Title:Administrative Asst V
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Contact Name:Jessica Divell
Number of Openings:1
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.2017-01-04-08:00