Executive Assistant - Department of Psychiatry
Classification & Title: 1885, Exec Ofc & Admin Spec
Work Hours: Full Time - M-F, 8 hours
Term: A - 12 Month
College: Med School
Campus: Twin Cities
This position provides high-level administrative support to the Head of the Department of Psychiatry, Department Administrator & Administrative Manager. The Assistant Executive Assistant acts as a liaison to other administrative staff and units within the University as well as outside agencies with authority to make decisions on behalf of the Administrative Manager for the Department Head regarding scheduling and planning activities.
Business of the Head often involves documents and information of a confidential nature. The Assistant EA is expected to exercise sound judgment and discretion over matters of importance to the professional activities and goals of the University of Minnesota Medical School and Department of Psychiatry. The Assistant EA is required to demonstrate a high level of professionalism and diplomacy, particularly in representing the Department Head and in dealing with sensitive and confidential issues and critical research and academic activities.
The Assistant EA assists and supports the Department Head, Administrative Manager & Department Administrator in a wide range of activities. This position requires technical skills for preparation of complex materials. Examples include travel itineraries, booking travel, sometimes world-wide, preparation of Promotion and Tenure packets and assistance with the annual review process of faculty. The Assistant EA assists with the oversight of financial transactions of the Department Head and Administrative Manager, oversight of general research scheduling and operations of the Head, Administrative Manager & Department Administrator.
Administrative Support for the Department Head, Department Administrator & Administrative Manager – 70%
- Communicates regularly using outstanding verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills with the Department Head, Department Administrator, Administrative Manager and constituents within the University.
- Provides a strong professional presence to enhance the Department of Psychiatry office.
- Acts as a resource for the Department Head, Department Administrator & Administrative Manager on aspects of the Department of Psychiatry administration and operations.
- Independently manages and responds to routine electronic, verbal, telephone, and other written inquiries on behalf of the Department Head, Administrative Assistant and Department Administrator.
- Schedules and organizes meetings; researches various types of information to prepare the department head for meetings, conferences, and events; prepares relevant materials; staffs meetings as necessary; prepares minutes from complex discussions, including meetings across multiple institutions and time zones; and follows up on actions required.
- Coordinates travel arrangements and travel itineraries.
- Document Preparation/Editing/Submission
- Tracks academic activities for the Department Head’s curriculum vitae.
- Prepare/edit scientific and administrative presentations, as requested by Head, DA and AM.
- Maintain up to date knowledge and current software updates for preparation of complex documents, presentations and materials for publication (Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, etc.).
- Independently designs, implements, and maintains office management systems for smooth and efficient operation.
- Proactively provides feedback and takes initiative with job duties.
- Uses judgment and respects confidentiality in all matters.
Faculty Affairs – 10%
- Schedule faculty meetings, take notes, and prepare summary for distribution as needed.
- Assist with Promotion and Tenure process as directed by Administrative Manager.
- Office Administration -10%
- Drafts and prepares research support letters for faculty.
- Ensures that all departmental research personnel receive required security and laboratory safety training and that documentation is completed to insure compliance with University regulations in a research environment.
- Manage employee keys and keycards for Department of Psychiatry as well as controlled access building, resolving any problems or issues with facilities.
- Coordinate moves of labs or office personnel and equipment as necessary.
- Schedule presentations and annual safety training as needed.
Financial Oversight – 10%
- Manages financial transactions of the Department Head and Administrative Manager.
- Prepares and submits travel and entertainment expense reimbursements on behalf of the Department Head, Department Administrator & Administrative Manager.
***This position is represented by a bargaining unit, AFSCME Clerical. Dues or fair share deductions will be made.***
Salary range: $15.70 - $26.41 USD / hour