| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 26th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The focus of this lab is to study the molecular profiles of cancer using circulating tumor DNA and other nucleic acids in plasma and body fluids for noninvasive management of treatment responses and guiding personalized medicine. We are seeking an inventor with a creative mind. Join us if you can think innovatively and want to make an impact!
As a Senior Research Technician / Research Assistant you will:
- Participate in projects to develop molecular assays to profile circulating tumor DNA (ctDNA) from body fluids across different solid cancer types.
- Work in a jointed effort with the Innovation Laboratory of the Center for Molecular Oncology, Diagnostic Molecular Pathology Laboratory and Department of Laboratory Medicine to develop assay. Clinical evaluation will be done in close collaboration with individual research groups and clinical trials teams.
- Develop and run assays including targeted deep sequencing, exome sequencing and whole genome sequencing using next-generation sequencing (NGS) platforms, particularly Illumina sequencers.
- Work with cancer types including prostate, breast, brain, bladder and ovarian. This may change as the list of cancer types expands.
- Bachelors or Master’s with 3+ years of experience.
- Prior experience applying the above technologies on human tissues (tumor/FFPE) or body fluids (plasma, urine, saliva, CFS) will be necessary.
- Understanding of the different molecular strategies for mutation detection and quantification is critical.
- Basic understanding of cancer genomics will be necessary. Candidates with experience in NGS bioinformatics analysis will be preferable.
- The ideal candidate will be a team-player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience with the following Laboratory techniques:
- Nucleic acids extraction (DNA/RNA),
- PCR, digital PCR,
- DNA quantification,
- Library preparation (whole-genome / exome / targeted / DNA methylation) for massively parallel sequencing (next-generation sequencing, NGS), or relevant experience.
Basic computational skills:
- Experience with document-processing programmes such as Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), etc.
- Scientific figures management such as Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, etc. is a plus
The following skills are preferable:
- Computational techniques and statistical knowledge
- Experience with programming skill, such as R, Python, MatLab, etc, is a plus.
- Knowledge of biomedical statistics, and experience with statistics programmes such as R, SPSS, Prism, etc.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.