| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2016. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Precision Pathology Biobanking Center (PPBC) is a newly established research center at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. A central pillar of the Center is the collection, database annotation, and banking of human biospecimens. Our team of biobanking professionals procures surgical and biopsy research samples from over 8,000 patients per year. Our samples are a key prerequisite for high-impact cutting-edge basic, translational, and clinical trial research at MSK. We are looking to recruit highly motivated Research Technicians to join our active high-volume tissue and body fluid biobanking team.
Specific features of this position include:
- Processes specimens in timely fashion and following specific SOP and individual protocol requirements
- Assists the gross room supervisor in triage and harvesting protocol cases
- Works with surgical pathology prosecting teams to procure tissue
- Reviews daily Operating Room schedule and flags appropriate protocol cases
- Enters and maintains data in biospecimen database
- Helps develop novel protocols for rapid, high-quality specimen procurement
- Participates in Center Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement activities
- Works with the Center’s IT team to improve and implement biobanking software solutions
- Uses database tools to query and retrieve inventory
- Participates in research studies, presentations, conferences, and preparation of manuscript
- Eager to learn and implement new technologies and laboratory procedures
- Works well in a large team and communicates well
- Ideal for highly motivated individuals with opportunity for academic development, individual research projects, and growing responsibilities
- We are especially interested in recruiting team members with 3-5 years of solid laboratory management experience and good familiarity with laboratory equipment is required. This is a Senior Research Technician position.
- (B.S. or M.S. or equivalent) majored in biochemistry, molecular biology, premed, pharmacology, anatomy/physiology, or related fields are of particular interest.
- 3-5 years of active research experience within a clinical setting is required
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.