| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2016. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Precision Pathology Biobanking Center (PPBC) is a newly established research center at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. A central pillar of the Center is the collection, database annotation, and banking of human biospecimens. Our team of professionals procures surgical and biopsy research samples from over 8,000 patients per year. Our samples are a key prerequisite for high-impact cutting-edge basic, translational, and clinical trial research at MSK. We are looking to recruit a highly motivated Research Histotechnologist to join our active high-volume Research and Innovations (R&I) Laboratory within the PPBC.
Specific features of this position include:
- Receives specimens and processes them on tissue processors
- Helps develop new research histology protocols and methods; develops SOPs
- Cuts paraffin and frozen sections
- Stains and coverslips (manual and automated methods)
- Performs routine and special stains
- Labels slides, verifies patient and specimen information
- Checks slides under microscope to ensure consistent good results
- Prepares and maintains special solutions and reagents
- Works on tissue microarrays and other technologies
- Participates in Center Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement activities
- Works well in a large team and communicates well
- Ideal for highly motivated individuals with opportunity for academic development, participation in individual research projects, and growing responsibilities
Bachelor's degree in relevant scientific field (biochemistry, molecular biology, pharmacology, anatomy/physiology, or related fields).
Comfortable with computer use (especially databases).
Formal licensing as a Histotechnologist (ASCP) preferred.
Hours: Monday-Friday, Day shift, 37.5 hours per week
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.