| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2016. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Cytogenetics Laboratory located at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center provides medical results and data for patient diagnosis and/or prognosis for the treatment and care of patients. The Cytogenetics Laboratory within the Diagnostics Service is currently seeking a supervisor with expertise in the field of Cytogenetics and relevant experience of managing laboratory personnel.
- Be responsible for the overall supervision of the Cytogenetics Lab.
- Prioritize overall activities of area to meet departmental goals, assigns/delegates work to staff, anticipates impact of special/emergency requests .
- Ensure adequate coverage at all times; project staffing levels when reviewing vacation requests, approve vacations and all time off in consideration of department and employee requirements.
- Respond to questions/problems raised by staff to ensure timely completion of work.
- Establish work schedules and priorities to ensure that work flow is controlled and meets the needs of the department and ensures delivery of quality service
- Review workflow and policies and procedures to most effectively meet the mission of the department; make revisions to improve efficiency on both inter- and intra-departmental levels
- Monitor staff compliance with department and Center standards, policies and procedures intervening when necessary to assure adherence.
- Provide technical/clinical guidance to staff to ensure that problems are resolved and work assignments can be completed
- Provide on-the-job training as needed; explain and demonstrate required procedures/competencies; assess trainee’s backgrounds; refer to appropriate resource/operations manuals and instructs trainees on their use for future reference and application. Assess each competency performed by trainees and provides specific feedback and remedial training as needed.
- Monitor Laboratory QA standards on weekly bases; Prepare, analyze QC report quarterly and submit to Departmental QA committee.
- Perform and review proficiency testing of samples received from outside regulatory agencies like CAP, DOH-NY. Acts on deficiencies
- Determine and perform assigned quality control procedures.
- Responsible for assessment, development, refinement and implementation of laboratory testing.
- Develop plan to implement solution to improve operations by identifying resource requirements, analyzing existing resources and procedures, and identify new sources of support if necessary. Includes criteria for success of problem resolution and expected time frame of implementation
- Develop system for monitoring all existing equipment for value and useful life, planning an appropriate replacement program.
- Maintain current professional licensure and required memberships/certifications
- BS in Medical Technology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, or related field with experience working in a Cytogenetics laboratory. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5+ years of demonstrated supervisory experience within a Cytogenetics Laboratory, including at least six years of pertinent clinical laboratory experience as per NYSDOH.
- Current NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License Required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good laboratory and organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and efficiently are essential
- Ability to multitask, along with an orientation toward teamwork and leadership
- Strong creative thinking and problem solving skills
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.