| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2016. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
We are currently seeking a Senior Research Technician to join our team. The Integrated Genomics Operation (IGO) is the data production engine of the Center for Molecular Oncology (CMO). The IGO supports many platforms: digital PCR, Nanostring, Next Generation and Sanger Sequencing and our approach is comprehensive: from tissue to genomics data. In collaboration with a team of pathologists, we assist investigators with phenotypic characterization of tissues and macro dissection of specimens. We extract DNA and RNA from a wide variety of sources (single cells, FFPE and fresh frozen sample, buccal swab, circulating free DNA , etc). Our laboratory supports basic, translational and clinical research. Ultimately, the main focus of our work is to help establish the basis of cancer pathogenesis, diagnostics and treatment at MSKCC. The candidate will work as part of the Sample Receiving Team and Analytics Team, playing an integral role in investigator communication and standardization of all projects as they are processed within the Integrated Genomics Operation.
As a Senior Research Technician, you will:
- Review all submissions for correctness and completeness, and work with investigators to guide them through processing decisions that are in line with the goals of their projects.
- Utilize the LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System) correctly and effectively to ensure the downstream processing team has relevant and up-to-date information.
- Analyze and correlate information on quality control results, develop standards for processing and re-evaluate as lab chemistry evolves.
- Run Quality Analysis and Quantity Check instruments on samples as they are received, prior to lab processing.
- An enthusiastic researcher organized and detail-oriented.
- Able to work independently while working in a large team.
- Someone who can handle a very fast paced environment and the pressure associated with deadlines.
- An outstanding communicator and critical thinker.
- A people person – able to adapt quickly to different personalities and cater to the needs of a diverse group of clinicians and researchers.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a Biological, Chemistry, or Science related field with at least 3 years of relevant full-time experience or a Master’s degree with 1-2 years full-time relevant experience.
- Previous exposure to LIMS systems preferred. Experience with handling DNA and RNA QC is required.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.