| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2017. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Patient Financial Services Department is seeking a Patient Authorization Specialist to work in collaboration with the MSK clinical and administrative staff, patients, and insurance carriers to ensure the optimal payment for the care we provide.
- Manage the patient insurance authorization process required for services that are being requested by the clinical staff responsible for the patient’s care
- Initiate communications with patient’s insurance carrier upon receiving information from the clinical team for services that require pre certification/authorization
- Work proactively with insurance carriers to ensure that all of the required information for payment has been received in a timely fashion.
- Communicate and advise the clinical team on any changes in insurance companies reimbursement practices related to the authorization of process.
- Maintain ongoing communication with the treating clinical team during the authorization process to provide timely updates on the outcomes of the requests for services from insurance carriers.
- Educate and counsel patients on their insurance coverage and explain payment options that are available to them.
- A Bachelor's Degree
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and capable of making decisions
- Patient/customer service experience
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.