| Company Overview:|
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 27th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2016, as well as Glassdoor’s annual Employees’ Choice Awards 2016. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Department of Laboratory Medicine provides all of the testing that Memorial Sloan Kettering adult and pediatric patients require for diagnosing, staging, and monitoring the effects of therapy.
We maintain laboratories on our main campus, several outpatient sites in Manhattan, and at various regional sites. Over the course of a typical weekday, we processes 2000 samples and perform 8,000 clinical laboratory tests. Each month, we transfuse over 3,500 blood products and perform 620 collections of donor blood and other products.
Our experts also play a vital role in clinical research through contributions we make to the development of new laboratory tests and diagnostic platforms.
Very exciitng time for our department as Memorial Sloan Kettering is building a state-of-the-art laboratory medicine facility on East 64th Street between First and Second Avenues. The new Laboratory Medicine Building will maximize operational efficiency, allowing the Laboratory Medicine team to provide test results faster and reduce the amount of blood needed from a patient to generate those results.
For further information, please visit: https://www.mskcc.org/departments/laboratory-medicine/expertise
We are currently searching for a Lab Assistant for our Monmouth, NJ location.
- Someone who readily takes action on challenges, without unnecessary planning
- Handles and manages crises effectively
- Good time management skills
- Ability to work as part of team, as well as independently
- Excellent verbal and wirtten communication ability
- Support open expression of diverse ideas and opinions
- Follows through on commitments and acts with a clear sense of ownership
- Known to deliver messages in a clear, compelling, and consice manner
- Builds and delivers solutions that meets customer expectations
- Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information
- Process patient samples for analysis. This includes reviewing appropriateness of requests, accessioning, centrifugation, aliquotting, placing samples on analyzers, performed waived lab tests, archiving and sample preparation for specimens sent to another laboratory for testing.
- Prepares specimens for testing or sending out to another laboratory for testing.
- Maintain competency in the assigned duties in the laboratory; record keeping of reagents, chemicals and instrument Service Contracts.
Participates in the Quality Assurance program in the laboratory.
Contributes to the upkeep and safety of the laboratory and assures a clean, safe, adequately supplied work area.
- Telephone coverage and other related duties.
- Prepares and maintains organized laboratory requisition and result files.
- Works under direct supervision of senior technologist, laboratory Supervisor or manager of the clinical laboratory.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Associates Desgree in Clinical Laboratory Science
- 1-2 years experience in a clinical laboratory as a Laboratory Technician, Laboratory Assistant or related job.
- Intermediate computer skills (Word and Excel)
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.