NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a FGP Sleep Technologist II (35).
In this role, the successful candidate Using general supervision of the Director, will show significant expertise in performing all aspects of Polysomnography for both clinical and research patients. At this level, the technologist should be familiar with commonly used drugs to manage sleep disorders. Recognize interactions which could have an adverse effect on the patient and bring this information to the appropriate M.D. or Ph.D. Have a good working knowledge of sleep hygiene techniques in order to augment and re-enforce recommendations made at the initial consultation. Recognize and diagnose apneas when performing NPSG. On an appointment basis, technologist will perform mask fittings in order to optimize patient satisfaction with the CPAP machine. Technologist will write and adapt protocols as needed, score, train staff on new equipment, and transfer data to the optical disk storage system.
- Gather and Analyze Patient Information - Collect, analyze, and integrate patient information in order to identify and meet the patient-specific needs (physical/mental limitations, current emotional/physiological status regarding the testing procedure, pertinent medical/social history), and to determine final testing parameters/procedures in conjunction with the ordering physician or clinical director and laboratory protocols. Complete and verify documentation. Explain pre-testing, testing, and post-testing procedures to the patient.
- Testing Preparation Procedures - Prepare and calibrate equipment required for testing to determine proper functioning and make adjustments if necessary. Apply electrodes and sensors according to accepted published standards. Perform appropriate physiologic calibrations to ensure proper signals and make adjustments if necessary. Perform positive airway pressure (PAP) mask fitting.
- Polysomnographic Procedures - Follow procedural protocols [such as Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT), Maintenance of Wakefulness Test (MWT), parasomnia studies, PAP, oxygen titration etc.] to ensure collection of appropriate data. Follow lights out procedures to establish and document baseline values (such as body position, oxyhemoglobin saturation, respiratory and heart rates, etc.). Perform Polysomnographic data acquisition while monitoring study-tracing quality to ensure signals are artifact-free and make adjustments, if necessary.
- Polysomnographic Procedures - Document routine observations including sleep stages and clinical events, changes in procedure, and significant events in order to facilitate scoring and interpretation of polysomnographic results. Implement appropriate interventions (including actions necessary for patient safety and therapeutic intervention such as continuous and bi-level positive airway pressure, oxygen administration, etc.). Follow lights on procedures to verify integrity of collected data and complete the data collection process (repeats the physiological and instrument calibrations and instructs the patient on completing questionnaires, etc.). Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to recognize and provide age specific care in the treatment, assessment, and education of neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients. Oversees and performs difficult and unusual procedures and therapeutic interventions.
- Polysomnographic Record Scoring - Score sleep/wake stages by applying professionally accepted guidelines. Score clinical events (such as respiratory events, cardiac events, limb movements, arousals etc.) according to center specific protocols. Generate accurate reports by tabulating sleep/wake and clinical event data.
- Service Management and Professional Issues - Comply with applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and standards regarding safety and infection control issues. Perform routine and complex equipment care and maintenance. Evaluate sleep study related equipment and inventory. Maintain current CPR or BCLS certification. Demonstrate effective written and spoken communication skills. Demonstrate appropriate social skills. Respond to study participants procedural-related inquiries by providing appropriate information. Demonstrate the ability to analyze complex situations and apply policy. Comply with the BRPT Standards of Conduct.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a (1) NYS OP License and current registration as a Polysomnographic Technologist, OR, (2) NYS OP License and current registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapy competent to perform Polysomnographic Technology services. 5 years experience in field of Polysomnography.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.