NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Unit Associate.
In this role, the successful candidate Support the patient care activities of the nursing unit through maintenance of patient records, supplies, and the environment; coordinates activities with unit staff and other departments; demonstrates clear, concise, accurate and timely communications with members of the health care team, patients families and visitors; incorporates NYU Core Values in all aspects of job performance
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment for patients and staff by serving screening for unauthorized individuals and notifying the appropriate personnel.
- Demonstrates culture competency in interpersonal behaviors. Demonstrates an awareness of the needs and behaviors of specific patient age groups.
- Completes discharges, transfers and expirations into the electronic medical record (EMR=ICIS) in a timely, accurate manner.
- Maintain the flow of computerized and paper documents. Ensures all forms and documents are organized.
- Supports the patient care activities on the nursing unit by maintaining unit orderliness, adequacy of supplies and other resources necessary for patient flow.
- Facilitates communication among unit staff, patients, families, visitors and members of the health care team. Present a positive image at all times while providing information and/or forwarding inquiries to appropriates staff.
- Demonstrates respect for patient confidentiality, privacy, dignity, and rights.
- Demonstrates accountability for supplies, equipment, and environmental support.
- Assists in data entry every 4 hours for Nstaffing , census daily data collection (NASH).
- Assists in the collection of data for the units Quality and Performance Improvement Program, that includes Patient Satisfaction and other measures.
- Assists in the orientation of new unit clerks.
- Recognizes own limitations and requests assistance when needed.
- Discusses educational concerns and goals with the Nurse Manager or appropriate leadership.
- Seeks learning resources for identified learning needs.
- Participates in unit meetings and conferences.
- Completes annual mandatory education requirements for patient unit clerks.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team.
- Receives packages, mail, flowers and arranges for their prompt delivery.
- Maintains the confidentiality of all patients as well as other medical center related information.
- Responds immediately as directed to potential and actual emergency situations.
- Utilizes hospital communications and devices appropriately, i.e., computer work stations, phone system, paging system.
- Reports to and maintains communications with nurse manager, nursing leadership or charge nurse.
- Responds promptly to patient call lights, patient and family requests for assistance. Responds promptly to requests by members of the healthcare team including RNs, MDs and other interdisciplinary team members.
- Provides the link for effective communication within the nursing unit and other departments.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Core Values and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
To qualify you must have a Education: High school diploma or the equivalent.Competence: Computer literacy including but not limited to keyboard facility, data entry, use of hospital intranet;Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and creative problem solving
Experience: clerical, customer service, communcations-related experience desirable. English as primary language; other languages desirable
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.