| GENERAL DUTIESThis class of positions encompasses responsible purchasing of a variety of materials with varying degree of latitude. For independent initiative and judgment and supervisory work of a major subdivision in a large bureau or purchasing organization. There are three assignment levels within this class of positions. All personnel perform related work.Assignment Level IUnder general supervision, with limited latitude for independent or unreviewed action or decision in accordance with standard procedures and legal requirements, performs work of limited difficulty and responsibility in one or more of the following areas:|
* Is responsible for the purchase of a volume and variety of materials in assigned fields.
* Reviews purchasing requisitions, checking descriptions and specifications to determine their accuracy and adequacy and consults with department and agencies to adjust possible discrepancies.
* Analyzes market conditions in relation to recent, current, and anticipated purchases.
* Prepares proposals for bidding on items to be purchased.
* Develops lists of prospective bidders.
* Reviews bids and quotations to determine most reasonable price in relation to market conditions and responsibility of bidders and makes recommendations based on these determinations.
* Examines samples of items to determine compliance with specifications or standards, suggesting substitute items when desirable.
* Interviews and corresponds with vendors, business representatives and contractors.
* Analyzes trade journals, catalogs, directories and other technical material with respect to market and price conditions.
* Prepares necessary purchasing documents in accordance with procurement requirements.
* May supervise Assistant Purchasing Agents and clerical personnel.
* Keeps records and makes copies.Assignment Level IIUnder general supervision, with considerable latitude for independent or unreviewed action or direction, in accordance with standard procedures and legal requirements, handles more complex problems in one or more of the following:
* Is responsible for the purchasing of materials in assigned fields which involve a large expenditure of money and the more complex purchasing problems that are continual in nature, due to such factors as seasonal variations, number and variety of items, frequency and extent of emergency purchases, complicated and non-standard nature of items purchased, and liabilities and consequences resulting from purchasing errors.
* May incidentally perform duties described under Assignment Level I.Assignment Level IIIUnder direction, with wide latitude for independent or unreviewed action or decision, performs supervisory work in one or more of the following, after having performed duties at Assignment Level I and/or II at least two years:
* Supervises and coordinates the purchasing activities of a subdivision consisting of two or more commodity units.
* Makes investigations in relation to purchase and handles special assignments as required.
* Reviews contract and calendar proposals before advertising.
* Approves recommendations for contract awards, contract modifications, buy-against transactions, formal requests for time extension on contracts, etc.
* Supervises various activities in connection with open market transactions.
* Supervises personnel in the titles of Assistant Purchasing Agents and other clerical personnel.
* May incidentally perform duties described under lower Assignment Levels.
* May, during temporary absence of immediate superior, perform the duties of that individual.CONTRACT TITLEPurchasing AgentFLSANon-exemptCAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATIONLaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.Reporting to the Director of Procurement, the Purchasing Agent, Level 2 will handle more complex purchasing matters and will be responsible for purchasing goods and services related to Building Operations, Facilities, maintenance, cleaning, and other Administrative Support Services crucial to the upkeep of the campus.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS1. High school graduation or its equivalent and four years of full-time, paid experience in purchasing a large volume and/or variety of materials, supplies, or equipment, two years of which may have been in a field closely related to large-scale purchasing such as inspection or specification writing covering a large volume and/or variety of materials, supplies or equipment; OR2. A baccalaureate degree, from an accredited college, in marketing , materials testing, mathematics, merchandising, purchasing, retailing, economics, or finance and one (1) year of full-time, paid experience in purchasing a large volume of materials, supplies or equipment; OR3. A combination of education and/or experience which is equivalent to 1 or 2.OTHER QUALIFICATIONSPreferred Qualifications
* Experience with City of New York Financial Management Systems (FMS)
* Experience with City University of New York CUNYFirst system Financial Support Chain (Purchasing Module)
* Experience purchasing commodities utilized in Building & Grounds, Campus Facilities, Building Operations etc.
* Experience aiding Building and Grounds in developing specifications for bids and purchases.
* Excellent oral and interpersonal skills to correspond with staff and faculty concerning specifications and purchases.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)COMPENSATIONNew Hire: $49,386*Incumbent: $55,806
* This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.BENEFITSCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.BENEFITSCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.HOW TO APPLYApplications should be submitted on-line as follows:1. Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu2. Navigate to Careers at CUNY located on the left sidebar.3. Search by job Opening ID number.4. Click on the Apply Now Button.Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc, or pdf format.CLOSING DATEMarch 10, 2017JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Managerial/ProfessionalEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* LaGuardia Community College*Job Title:
* Finance Purchasing Agent, Level 2 - Business Office (Provisional)*Job ID:
* 16355*Full/Part Time: