Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
| || |
| || Job Summary |
| || |
Perform skilled cooking duties and lead food preparation. Regularly assign, instruct and check the work of others; function as head cook in a food service function
| || Job Duties |
| || |
- Leads and participates in large scale preparation and service of food on assigned shift; prepares main entrees as directed; anticipates and performs preliminary preparation necessary for next day's meals;
- Performs meat cutting work; bones fish and fowl; cleans prawns; wraps and stores meat; cooks meat, fish, and poultry;
- Chop, slice, vegetables for salad production and kitchen production,
- Inspects food being prepared to ensure proper quantity, quality, and handling; instructs and trains employees and detail kitchen help in cooking, preparing, and handling food;
- Operates mixers, ovens, choppers, slicers, shredders, steamers, grills, grinders, steam kettles, fry kettles, and other food equipment;
- Assists in preparing menus and determining amount of food to meet menu requirements; keeps records; makes reports;
- Prepares food items according to standard menus, recipes, and verbal instructions; prepares and cooks vegetables, meats, soups and cereals; prepares salads, desserts and beverages, quick breads, etc.;
- Leads and participates in the cleaning of the kitchen and equipment; assures that standards of sanitation and safety are met;
- Adjusts recipes to volume of demand;
- Inventories and maintains necessary supplies and goods for assigned meals;
- Leads and participates in the storage and utilization of leftover ingredients and products; rotate stock;
- Operates standard cooking equipment;
- Plans meals, keeps records, and creates reports.
- Assigns and checks work and provides training. May provide feedback to supervisor to assist with work assignments and job performance.
- Other duties as assigned
| || Minimum Qualifications |
| || |
- Cooking experience in a largescale food service or culinary operation
- Any combination of education and experience which clearly demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
SPECIAL CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must have or be eligible to obtain WA State Food Handler's permit within 30 days of initial hire date
- Must be able to obtain SERVSAFE Certification within 6 months of initial hire date
- Experience cooking and leading/supervising in a large scale food service operation, preferably a university or hospitality driven environment.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Creativity: Ability to use creativity to develop new menu's and food items and incorporate them into Dining Services and large events that have special catering needs.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Leadership: Ability to lead and coordinate team efforts of kitchen staff thru direction and interaction. Ability to teach and train student employees in a fast paced environment.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
| || Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule |
| || |
$2431/month with periodic increases up to $3140/month
Schedule to be determined with supervisor / 11.5 Month Cyclic Appointment / BU1 - WFSE
Work is performed primarily indoors, at times in hot/cold/noisy/wet areas with some exposure to hazardous equipment and products. Working in temperatures from 0 degrees (freezer) to 350+ degrees (around cooking equipment) is common. Work requires walking and/or standing (often in a stationary position) for the majority of each shift. Bending/climbing/carrying/pulling/pushing/lifting associated with loading/unloading of supplies and preparation, plating and serving of food is required. Occasional overtime is required and shift work may be required.
Additional physical requirements of the position include: pushing utility and hand carts with up to 150 lbs of supplies around to various work stations; correctly lifting up to 35 lbs individually from the floor or shelf locations to heights of 48" so products can be poured into smaller containers or put on work tables.
CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
| || How To Apply |
| || |
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: February 18, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
| || Contact Information |
| || |
Name: Dan Layman
Title: Director, Dining Services
Phone: (509) 963-1332
Website: Dining Services
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
| || Conditions of Employment |
| || |
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
This is a Bargaining Unit I position and incumbent, as a condition of employment, will be required to become a member of the Washington Federation of State Employees, AFL-CIO, or pay a representation fee or a non-association fee within thirty calendar days from date of hire.