Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
| || |
| || Job Summary |
| || |
Independently coordinate and manage general office operations for the Office of the Provost. Represent the viewpoint and goals of the Provost in all communications with the campus community and external constituents. Demonstrate professionalism and courtesy in dealing with students, faculty, staff, and external entities. Provide clerical and administrative support to the Provost, the Faculty Relations Coordinator, and the Senior Academic Financial Manager. Work closely with other staff in the Office of the Provost on a variety of issues and projects.
| || Job Duties |
| || |
Office Management/Support Services:
- Provides varied administrative and secretarial support to the Provost, Faculty Relations Coordinator, and Senior Academic Financial Manager. Prepares and distributes a variety of correspondence in support of the Office of the Provost. Work closely with other staff in the Office of the Provost on a variety of issues and projects. Assists with prioritizing the work of the office and managing work flow.
- Represents the supervisor's and/or unit's goals and interests and provides interpretation or explanation of the supervisor's policies or viewpoints
- Prepares reports and proposals.
- Composes narrative portions of documents such as brochures and policy statements
- Assists with Board of Trustees materials for Academic and Student Life as assigned.
- Prioritizes assigned tasks. Establishes and monitors priorities/deadlines for projects and assignments. Completes tasks and projects appropriately within established deadlines.
- Assists in developing and maintaining office procedures and standards. Interprets and applies administrative policies. Ensures adherence to established policy.
- Assists in assessing office operation practices and assists in creating or revising procedures to accommodate changing practices and makes efficient use of resources.
- Assists in the coordination and maintenance of the Provost's calendar according to guidelines established by the Provost.
- Screens, distributes, and tracks mail and other incoming documents.
- Makes travel arrangements for the Provost, Faculty Relations Coordinator, and others as requested. Makes arrangements for meetings at on- and off-campus destinations. Processes necessary forms.
- Responsible for records management functions according to guidelines established for the Office of the Provost.
General Administrative Support:
- Independently coordinates primary day-to-day functions for the Office of the Provost.
- Handles a wide variety of communication, which may be of a confidential nature, with the campus community and outside entities.
- Employs flexible work habits to accommodate and prioritize rapid shifts in task assignments, interruptions, walk-ins, or requests.
- Coordinates and monitors the incoming flow of information for the Office of the Provost.
- Independently respond to general questions and resolve issues related to the function of the Office of the Provost.
- Maintains a broad, comprehensive, and current knowledge of university policy and procedures related to responsibilities and Office of the Provost.
- Draft faculty contracts.
- Represents management and serves as the primary contact in assigned program area(s) including event coordination for the Office of the Provost and public relations. Works directly with the Office of Public Affairs on necessary updates to the website, posts to social media, and/or creation of/planning for press releases.
- Works closely with other staff in making logistical arrangements.
- Provides support for standing committees and other committees as necessary. May include scheduling meetings, research, taking minutes, and other record keeping. Services as back-up in coordination and support for Provost's Council include agenda preparation, minutes and necessary follow-up.
- Tracks and updates standing committee membership information for the President's office through the year.
- Serves as support for selected Academic and Student Life search committees.
- Coordinates revisions to the Academic and Student Life portion of the CWU policies and procedures.
- Prepares Academic Calendar according to guidelines.
- Provides support to Faculty Relations Coordinator.
- Produces and distributes quarterly letters for the Honor Roll.
- Participates in budget preparation; develops budget estimates; monitors budget status and expenditures for the Office of the Provost budget including expense projection, monthly reconciling, and record keeping.
- Evaluates costs and/or approves purchases for expenditures such as equipment, supplies, and furniture; develops cost estimates for equipment needs, space renovations, and projects. Create and manage requisitions and purchase supplies for the Office of the Provost and other units as necessary. Reconcile ProCard transactions.
- Assists in devising unit standards/procedures to ensure adherence to policies regarding tasks such as budgeting, purchasing, and contract administration;
- Work with the Senior Academic Financial Manager on a variety of projects.
- Other duties as assigned
| || Minimum Qualifications |
| || |
- Significant secretarial experience with progressively increased responsibility
- Experience utilizing word processing software to create and edit documents.
- Experience utilizing spreadsheet software to create, modify, and format spreadsheets.
- Experience utilizing presentation software to create, format, and edit slide shows.
- Experience working with budgets, performing such functions as generating reports, reviewing expenditures, recognizing inconsistencies, and initiating budget transfers.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively organize multiple assignments, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities, to produce work products that are accurate, thorough, and on-time.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Clerical or secretarial experience in an academic department or similar setting.
- Broad knowledge of departmental and university policies and procedures.
- Proficiency with PeopleSoft.
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgment: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
- Tact and Diplomacy: Responds to difficult, stressful or sensitive interpersonal situations in ways that reduce or minimize potential conflict and maintains good working relationships among internal and external customers. Recognizes awkward or potentially embarrassing situations which sometimes arise and has the ability to respond appropriately. Is aware of tone and carefully chooses words, while at the same time ensuring that the intended message is clear, polite and readily understood.
| || Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule |
| || |
$2724/month with periodic increases up to $3541/month
| Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) |
| Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required. |
CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
| || How To Apply |
| || |
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting; and
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: February 16, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
| || Contact Information |
| || |
Name: Carol Faltus
Title: Executive Assistant to the Provost
Phone: (509) 963-1401
Website: Office of the Provost
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
| || Conditions of Employment |
| || |
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.