Central Washington University
Central Washington University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity/Title IX employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
Full/Part Time Full-Time
| || |
| || Job Summary |
| || |
This position will work with the AFRS accountant to prepare, transmit, reconcile, and report CWU's fiscal activity into the state AFRS system. This position is also responsible for processing the daily check run, as well as monthly (sales and use tax) and quarterly tax reporting, providing general accounting assistance on various general ledger related tasks as well as various system monitoring activities. Also includes preparing the monthly charge credit journals and processing NSF checks.
| || Job Duties |
| || |
- Monitor, review and verify the accuracy of input to computer output for daily accounting pay-cycle run.
- Record and verify daily totals and other data on Daily Output Log.
- Prepare correcting journal vouchers and/or resubmit documents as needed to correct errors.
- Verify the accuracy of checks produced including vendor name, address and amount of checks.
- Prepare checks for distribution, including checks mailed and "Do Not Mail" list. Deliver checks to Cashier's Office. Prepare, record, verify input and type hand-written checks as requested.
Agency Financial Reporting System (AFRS) functions:
- Work with the AFRS Accountant with the goal of learning to take over the reconciliation the University's monthly financial transactions to the State's accounting system (AFRS).
- Ensure the University's in-process reports with the State Treasurer are current and the appropriate expenses are posted to AFRS, as well as posted in the correct accounting period.
- Interact with the Office of Financial Management and the University's financial planning and analysis office to verify our total operating allotments are expended and reported to AFRS accordingly.
- Maintain the integrity of the data posted to the University's financial management system (PeopleSoft) and verify that they are all valid transactions in accordance with State accounting policies and procedures.
- Review current processes and procedures for financial reporting and make any necessary changes to improve the efficiency of the University's state reporting requirements.
- Maintain the CWU to State mapping to ensure that all new (and existing) CWU accounts are properly mapped to the state. Provide reports showing the reconciliation of AFRS to FRS on at least a quarterly basis for all allotted funds.
General Accounting Assistance:
- Assist departments in answering questions about monthly reports.
- Investigate any discrepancies or unusual items identified and prepare or recommend solutions.
- Prepare correcting journal vouchers as needed.
- Answer departmental phone and e-mail questions in a timely manner.
- Prepare billings for various third-party receivables.
- Review AFRS/FMS error reports, investigate errors and make required correcting entries to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Recommend and help implement improvements to existing processes and procedures for the Accounting Office.
- Prepare and maintain records for reconciliations of the Accounting Office Departmental accounts, Admission Tax Fees, Department of Services for the Blind, and Leasehold Tax. Monitor and reconcile monthly accounting statements to detail for the accounts indicated, maintain files for documentation of detail, assist higher level personnel with questions pertaining to these accounts.
- Run FMS reports to download information from FMS to use in spreadsheet preparation. Prepare check requests and/or journal vouchers as necessary to distribute monies to appropriate areas and/or make corrections.
- Compile NSF checks returned by the bank. Contact Student Financials representative for information for deposit on NSF check.
- Contact other departments for information of deposit on NSF check and accurate account and speedkey to use on journal voucher.
- Prepare corresponding journal voucher for input into FMS. Copy journal voucher and distribute to appropriate department.
- Reconcile NSF's posted to FMS to the statement from the bank.
Vendor Credit File:
- Review and monitor outstanding credit file and investigate any unusual items.
- Monitor credits with vendors against payments to vendors to ensure credits are being used where applicable. Evaluate existing vendor credit process and recommend improvements or enhancements to make it more effective and efficient.
Prepare, audit, and verify monthly State Sales Tax Return:
- Prepare and run queries to download data from FMS. Using queries and departmental documents, enter information into spreadsheets.
- Analyze figures for appropriateness and accuracy. Verify the accuracy of the worksheet for any Department of Revenue changes.
- Prepare journal voucher to post the sales tax to FMS.
- Prepare wire transfer request to process payment to the state. Assists state and CWU personnel with questions pertaining to the sales tax return.
Charge Credit process:
- Manage the current paper based charge credit system, review received charge credits for appropriate approval and backup, route to additional approvers as necessary, prepare charge credit journals to record the completed and approved charge credits in the system.
- Maintain the paper based charge credit system and work with others to automate the existing processes using delivered functionality or recommended solutions
- Manage the archiving process for Accounting and Accounts Payable records. Coordinate the flow of accounting records to the archive. Arrange for the disposal of accounting records that have reached the required disposal date.
- File the appropriate documents with Business Services and Contracts for both the movement and disposition of archived accounting records.
- Other duties assigned
| || Minimum Qualifications |
| || |
- Bachelor's degree, which includes 18 quarter or 12 semester hours in accounting, auditing or budgeting.
- Extensive professional accounting experience in such areas as: accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, or budget forecasting.
- OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Governmental or non-profit accounting experience
- State Financial reporting system experience (specifically with WA state's Agency Financial Reporting System, AFRS)
- Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
- Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
- Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
- Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
- Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
| || Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule |
| || |
$3541/month with periodic increases up to $4644/month
| Monday - Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm (1 hour lunch) |
Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform extensive data entry and other computer-related tasks and create/maintain filing systems for departmental records. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
| || How To Apply |
| || |
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
- A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting; and
- Resume including work history, education, training; and
- Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: February 10, 2017
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
| || Contact Information |
| || |
Name: Lori Hauser
Title: Administrative Assistant
Phone: (509) 963-2956
Website: Financial Affairs
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
| || Conditions of Employment |
| || |
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.