| Unit Description|
Care Site Description
St. Vincent Healthcare is part of SCL Health System, a faith-based, nonprofit health care organization.
Interested in making a difference? Then check us out. Our rich heritage and mission, and our focus on health care delivery that values person-centered care, excellence and accountability are a winning combination as we bring health â?? and hope â?? to our patients.
- Billings, Mont. (est. 1898)
- Largest tertiary care hospital and Level II Trauma Center in Montana serving patients in eastern and south-central Mont. and northern Wyo.
- 2,100 associates, 529 medical staff
- 286 beds (201 are staffed)
Services & Expertise
- Cancer Care
- Childrenâ??s Healthcare
- Comprehensive Regional Services
- Heart Center
- Orthopedic Services
- Womenâ??s Services
St. Vincent Healthcare is an award-winning hospital providing person-centered care. We are People Healing People throughout the communities that we serve, especially the poor and vulnerable.
In this position, the Public Safety Officer provides public assistance and patrols hospital building(s) and grounds to provide a safe, secure environment for hospital staff, physicians, patients and visitors so that they may provide or receive healthcare without threat of theft, vandalism, disruptive behavior, illegal entry, or breaking of Saint Vincent Healthcare rules and regulations. Conduct associate and visitor accident investigations (Safety Swarms), taking the lead under the direction of the Supervisor. Additional responsibilities may include facilitating Crisis Prevention Training for associates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Environment of Care
- Patrols hospital grounds and campus on foot or in a patrol vehicle to detect and remove unauthorized persons or vehicles.
- Patrols interior to secure doors as needed, check emergency exits, and report safety hazards.
- Confronts unwanted or unauthorized persons to determine lawful business, direct, detain, or ask to leave hospital property as needed
- Maintains knowledge of safety and emergency preparedness plans and responds to hospital codes and alarms
- Completes written reports for crimes and investigations, or unusual incidents that may pertain to hospital liability.
- Maintains lost and found property registry on computer.
- Facilitates and schedules Crisis Prevention Training with the appropriate personnel and leadership.
- Completes Crisis Prevention Training and ensures documentation is accurate.
- Assist and trains other Public Safety Officers in proper technique and protocols concerning Crisis Prevention.
- Facilitates and schedules Safety Swarms with the appropriate personnel and leadership.
- Completes Safety Swarm Investigations and ensures documentation is accurate.
- Assist and trains other Public Safety Officers in proper technique and protocols concerning investigations.
- Responsible for monitoring and controlling access to St. Vincent Healthcare by acting as a first point of entry for contractors, vendors, clergy, parish volunteers, and interpreters
- System administrator for electronic access control system
- Grants, changes, and removes access to all staff/non-staff as needed
- Monitors system to ensure all persons have proper level of access
- Notify Public Safety supervisors about unauthorized access to secure areas
- Ensures that new badge readers have correct schedule and function properly
- Changes/adjusts badge reader schedules as needed
- Trains users
- Act as backup for Human Resources for making employee ID badges
- Assists staff, physicians, patients and visitors in matters including but not limited to vehicle assistance, violent or disruptive behavior and morgue duties (Pickup and release of deceased)
- Is a primary contact for the patient care departments in the event of an incident of patient â??wanderingâ?? and is responsible for monthly checks of all wanderguard devices.
- Maintains liaison with local law enforcement and fire support personnel as well as any other emergency support personnel.
- Valid MT Drivers License, proof of insurability and a clean driving record
- Current Unarmed Security Officers license or ability to obtain within six months of hire
- Current Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED certification or ability to obtain within three months of employment
- Current certifications for ASP tactical baton, handcuffs, and pepper spray or ability to obtain within 3 months of hire.
- Ability to deal with conflict that may involve physical contact or self-defense equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically within a multi-functional team
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to successfully function in a fast paced, service oriented environment
- Experience in understanding and usage of computers including the ability to learn applications relevant to the position