Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us. Laboratory Automation Developer
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Job # PHA001355
The new Screening & Compound Profiling Department is seeking a highly motivated individual to provide automation and engineering solutions as part of the Screening and Informatics Team.
The selected individual will provide automation support for screening platforms at Merck's Kenilworth, New Jersey location. Additionally, the individual could provide custom engineering solutions for unmet scientific needs.
- Automation Support
- Liquid Handling / Automation Integration
- Programming/Liquid handling integration work (Beckman FX, Hamilton), (Acoustic - Echo/ATS), large scale screening systems (Cellario, Labcyte, Agilent)
- Develop quality control procedures to ensure accurate liquid handling
- Utilize vendors to support and service equipment to minimize down time
- Responsible for operations and troubleshooting screening systems
- Maintain accurate records for screening campaigns and follow up work
- Utilize and demonstrate proficiency with computer database systems that support and facilitate screening and sample management operations
- Process Optimization
- Seek to continuously improve processes, systems and overall customer satisfaction
- Provide direction/information to vendors, suppliers, facilities staff and service providers as required ensuring excellent coordination/execution of work with minimal disruption
- Create SOP's for efficient and effective operation of automated equipment to satisfy department service level agreements and objectives
- Client, Supplier, and Colleague Interfaces
- Act as an interface and develop/maintain positive relationships with clients, suppliers and scientific staff
- Act collaboratively to solve problems and resolve spontaneous and unique situations with professionalism and service orientation
- Custom Engineering Solutions
- Performs various duties associated with the engineering, evaluation, development, construction, repairing, rebuilding and/or modifying various types of electronic, electrical, electro-mechanical, optical and liquid handling equipment for laboratory automation systems, robot systems, and scientific instrumentation
- Responsible for overseeing that repairs are implemented in a timely and cost effective manner
- Familiar with computer control concepts to assist in trouble-shooting and implementing computer based lab automation and instrumentation; including laboratory robots, instruments, data acquisition equipment, computers, interfaces, controllers, and other peripheral equipment.
- Communication, organization, record keeping and scheduling are imperative for a timely and cost effect solution to the problems
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent with at least three years industry experience or MS degree with no more than 3 years industry experience.
- Experience with automation, engineering and technical expertise in the areas of integration, robotics, liquid handling, software and electro-mechanical solutions.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with team members, assay validation scientists and other stakeholders to ensure effective communication of plans and issues.
- Must be able to prioritize projects and resources to deliver required level of output and support to customers.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Position in pharmaceutical or biotech company and/or laboratory experience.
- Working knowledge of conventional liquid handling systems - (Cellario, Beckman Biomek, Agilent Bravo, Hamilton Star) and acoustic dispensing technology (Labcyte Echo, EDC ATS 100).
- Experience with implementing and integrating large scale automation with internal LIMS and applications (eg Titian Mosaic, IDBS ActivityBase).
- Experience with automation process control software. Some applicable examples include High Res.
- Familiarity with Oracle, Pipeline Pilot, PL/SQL, SQL Server and MS Access.
- Familiarity with automated tube and plate storage (RTS SmartStore or similar)
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered for this position, please visit our career site at merck.com/careers, search jobs, create a profile and submit your resume for requisition # PHA001355 to:
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran - proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement