Northside Community Development Corporation is seeking qualified applicants for its Housing Counselor position. The mission of the Northside Community Development Corporation (NCDC) is to foster community development and create and preserve affordable and diverse housing opportunities in Chicago through education, training, advocacy, and development. NCDC is a HUD approved housing counseling agency. NCDC is looking for a Housing Counselor who will help further its mission.
Title of Position: Housing Counselor
Direct Supervisor: Reports to NCDC Director
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Experience and Education: Candidates should have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree (Urban Studies, Planning, Real Estate, or related field preferred). Prefer candidates with housing and/or nonprofit community organization experience. Candidates must have excellent written and verbal skills. Proficiency in English and Spanish languages/bilingual is required.
Position Description: The Housing Counselor is responsible for providing one-on-one and group counseling sessions to agency clients, consistent with the organization’s mission and in compliance with regulatory requirements. The Counselor ensures counseling service quality by adhering to agency and government policies and procedures, managing related data collection and reporting, and fostering continuous improvement. The Housing Counselor will focus on helping client’s achieve their goals in building financial capacity, home purchase, and foreclosure prevention.
1. The Housing Counselor will be responsible for the day-to-day scheduling, implementation and delivery of the homeownership educational and counseling programs. These programs can include credit counseling; financial capacity building; pre-purchase counseling and homebuyer education; delinquency and foreclosure prevention counseling.
2. The Housing Counselor will assist with conducting outreach efforts in Chicago’s north side neighborhoods and near northern suburbs to provide information and program outreach to community groups/block clubs, elderly organizations, financial intuitions, real estate offices, and other community service organizations as necessary to ensure that people from diverse communities have full access to all of the available housing and financial opportunities in the market today.
3. Organizes, manages and provides monthly program and financial reports to the NCDC Senior Staff and management.
4. Proven ability to work with diverse populations.
5. Maintains documentation and appropriate client records as required by funders and/or government organizations.
6. Works in cooperation with other NCDC/NCR staff and performs other duties as requested by Director and Executive Director.
7. Will require some weeknights and weekends
This is a Full Time (40 hours per week) Grant Specific and Exempt Position. NCLR, NCRC, NHNLA, or NeighborWorks certification is a plus.