Have you reversed the academic fortunes of a school? Taken a good school and made it great? Do you have the time, energy, and passion to help fellow principals do the same?
We are currently looking for a number of current or former principals or superintendents to join our results-oriented team!
Over the last 16 years, School Turnaround at The Rensselaerville Institute has worked in some of the country’s most beleaguered schools that all have one thing in common – an urgent need to raise student achievement. This desire to raise achievement, particularly students’ ability to read, write, and problem solve, is driven not only by our belief that all students deserve access to the best educational opportunities regardless of background or zip code, but also by the inextricable link between a student’s ability to read and their likelihood of living in poverty.
Through unique and strategic partnerships with districts and schools, School Turnaround helps principals and superintendents immediately improve academic achievement at persistently low-performing schools. We equip school and district leaders with the strategies, tactics, and focus to dramatically improve academic results within two years’ time. Turnaround Specialists play a vital role in this equation by being the primary supporter, pusher, feedback-giver, and confidant for school leaders as they undertake unprecedented change in their schools.
The ideal School Turnaround Specialist:
- Has demonstrated at least one turnaround of a school or district and can speak clearly about the turnaround in detail – particularly regarding achievement data and strategies versus funding streams or programs
- Understands the urgent nature of turnaround and is rooted in action versus process
- Can articulate past failures and lessons learned. In keeping with Twain adage, “I never learned from the mistake I didn’t make.”
Can Build Effective Relationships
- Has ability to share what he/she knows and help others apply it to new situations and personalities
- Listens well and speaks with the intent of adding value
- Feels passionate about the success of another person and clearly conveys that passion
- Has the ability to form relationships such that he/she can speak bluntly and directly in a way that doesn't alienate
Has Knowledge and Tools
- Possesses knowledge and capacity for using technology – both for communication and data analysis
- Stays current with research and methodologies for teaching, learning, and leadership
- Can synthesize a broad range of educational approaches versus ones only based on personal experience
- Is familiar with current federal legislation and standards-based learning
We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, flexible work hours, the opportunity to travel, and a chance to work with a collaborative team who are committed to increasing life chances for children through education and community. If you are a proven turnaround leader who is ready, willing, and able to share what you know with other leaders, please send your resume and letter of interest to our Director of Operations, Mickee Pomeisl at firstname.lastname@example.org.