Founded in 1906, St. Mark's School of Texas is a non-sectarian, college-preparatory, independent day school for boys in grades one through twelve. The School’s charter states that it is “designed to afford its students well-rounded physical, intellectual, moral, and religious training and instruction.” The School is intended to be a diverse community of teachers and students who share a love of learning and who strive for high achievement in whatever they undertake.
St. Mark’s aims to prepare young men to assume leadership and responsibility in a competitive and changing world. To this end, the School professes and upholds certain values. These values include the discipline of postponing immediate gratification in the interests of earning eventual, hard-won satisfaction; the responsibility of defending one’s own ideas, of respecting the views of others, and of accepting the consequences for one’s own actions; and an appreciation for the lively connection between knowledge and responsibility and the obligation to serve.
The new Head of Middle School will report directly to the Headmaster and will be responsible for the continued academic, programmatic, administrative, and cultural health of the division. In addition to overseeing daily operations of the Middle School, this individual will provide the strategic vision and leadership necessary to create and sustain a nurturing and supportive environment that values both tradition and innovation while also identifying future opportunities for growth and enhancement of existing programs. Direct reports currently include the Assistant Head of Middle School, four Grade Sponsors, the Middle School faculty, and an administrative assistant. Specific duties will include the following:
- Serving as a member of the Headmaster’s senior leadership team and collaborating with the Associate Headmaster and the Heads of Lower and Upper School in strategic planning as well as focused efforts to achieve horizontal and vertical alignment of the 1-12 curriculum.
- Embodying the mission of St. Mark's and fostering a culture in which each student is known well and supported along his unique educational journey.
- Refining and developing Middle School curricula and programs to ensure a challenging and developmentally appropriate experience for boys.
- Hiring, supervising, mentoring, and evaluating experienced and committed Middle School faculty and staff in consultation with the Associate Headmaster and other key administrators.
- Ensuring that administrative structures and processes effectively support both the daily operations and the strategic goals of the division.
- Fostering a growth mindset and encouraging the achievement of professional goals among faculty both through formal development plans and by leading ongoing conversations about best practices and trends in curriculum, pedagogy, and educational technology.
- Working collaboratively with Parents’ Association representatives and maintaining open and ongoing communication with all Middle School parents with regard to curriculum, programs, school events, and individual student issues.
- Being an active and visible presence in all areas of school life, from classrooms to afterschool activities and events.
- One who has high expectations for himself or herself and whose experience, intellect, and dedication to the academic, physical, social, and character development of young boys inspire the confidence of others.
- A team-oriented and service-minded individual who leads through influence and collaboration rather than solely exercising the power of his or her office.
- An adept manager who is aware of important division matters at all times while still being comfortable delegating to an experienced and responsible faculty and staff.
- An educator who balances the need for scope, sequence, and general consistency in educational approaches with appropriate autonomy and flexibility for faculty members.