Position Number: D93602
The Director of Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity serves several critical functions within PSU. S/he will assure compliance with federal, state, local and university civil rights laws, regulations and policies, diverse workforce hiring process, as well as affirmative action plan application and review. The Director will administer PSU's civil rights complaint procedures; including managing the investigations of alleged prohibited discrimination and harassment brought by staff, faculty, students, employment applicants, and other relevant parties of PSU. Specific AA/EEO responsibilities include: development of the University's Affirmative Action Plan and coordination of its implementation; monitoring of searches at the advertisement, interview and hire steps, as well as internal promotional and advancement opportunities, and preparation of various internal and external reports. The Director will work closely with the Vice President, Global Diversity and Inclusion (GDI) on recruitment and retention of students, faculty, and staff from underrepresented populations. The incumbent develops and delivers an array of related programming and workshops. The Director reports to the Associate Vice President, Global Diversity & Inclusion.
- Master's degree or J.D. plus 5 years professional personnel, or AA/EEO related management experience involving significant responsibilities in compliance, diversity, civil rights, human rights, social justice or related.
- At least 3 years of experience serving underrepresented communities.
- Experience investigating and managing workplace complaints.
- Experience working in multicultural environments.
- Demonstrated ability to see and understand whole systems and how elements within systems relate.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others to use appropriate systems strengths, knowledge and cooperation to improve performance. Seek opportunities to improve the work environment to better meet the needs of internal and external constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to establish mutual agreements that result in clear responsibility, taking personal action to accomplish an agreed result following up to ensure results are achieved.
- Demonstrated ability to act and provide leadership throughout the change process.
- Honors the uniqueness of each individual, challenges stereotypes and promotes sensitivity and inclusion. Functions effectively and respectfully within the context of varying cultural beliefs, behaviors, and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and productively with others to achieve shared goals.
- Leadership, project management, and strategic planning experience.
- Experience influencing compliance for code of conduct, respect in the workplace, applicable policies, procedures and agreements related to position, department and/or institution as a whole.
- Terminal degree
- Multicultural and cultural competence training
- Experience working within higher education or large complex institutions.
- Training, education, and experience to understand and apply legislation, law, regulations, policies and procedures, and perform investigations of alleged violations of laws and internal policy applicable to discrimination and harassment in a university setting.